diy solar

diy solar

Victron MPPT Profile settings

Mrdanielmh

Solar Enthusiast
Morning all,

Wondering what charge profile any victron MPPT owners use? The default Lifepo4 profile has an absorption time of 2 hours!

Default settings:

Absorption: 14.2 (2 hours)
Float: 13.5

Thanks

I'm wondering the same, and I have a very similar setup in my trailer as you do in your camper van. Depending on what's ideal for your battery you may need to customize it.

I have a Renogy Li MPPT controller but you can only configure the absorption voltage (and only in 0.2V increments). There is no other configuration available on my model. So this week I purchased a Victron SmartSolar MPPT 100/50, as I've been led to believe based on this forum that it's far more configurable, both for individual voltages as well as to better control for SoC.

So... anyone willing to provide some screenshots of your Victron config? I'm particularly interested in the settings used to allow the controller to charge at high voltages (14.4V-14.6V) but be able to stop charging when the cells hit ~90% (when the charging profile switches from constant current to constant voltage).

I'm going to experiment with it this week but TBH after >5 weeks in my camper recently I probably won't spend much time in it again until ~Sept to see how it works so any tuning info is a helpful jumpstart.

The standard Victron settings for LiFeP04 are perfect. Absorption at 14.2, float at 13.5, Absorption time should be one hour per 100AH so 2 hours is fine. There is little to be gained by charging to 14.6 as the capacity difference between 14.2 and 14.6 is minimal as in youll never notice it. 14.2 also keeps the cells from big imbalances that tend to crop up at high voltages, which can cause your bms to trip and stop charging. If you have DIY cells you can see what happens to cell balance when pack voltage goes above 14 volts.

In my view the absorption time for a DIY battery is too long. The 2 hour period Victron default to is for use with Victron Lithium batteries as the Victron BMS system modifies the absorption as required.
Charge to 14 volts and no absorption will charge to over 90%.

Mike

Back