diy solar

diy solar

Victron MPPTs to 48V DC Bus, Lightning Strike Makes Fuse Blow, What Happens to the Current?

AlaskanNoob

Solar Enthusiast
I'm planning for 2 x 450/200 SmartSolar MPPTs in parallel to supply a combined 400 amp for charging a 48V battery bank.

Assuming perfect sunny day and MPPTs are producing full 400 amp for charging.

The current will go from the MPPTs through 1 AWG wires (can carry 200 amp) to a set of Lynx DC Distributors. All four circuits going through the Lynx will have 250 amp Mega Fuses (not shown).

The DC charging current leaving the Lynx goes in two separate but otherwise identical paths, using 1 AWG wires. Each path goes through a C/B and then to a bus bar. From the bus bar the current is split into two paths using 4AWG wire that is rated for 100 amp. Then into four 48V batteries wired in parallel. Battery Bank A and Battery Bank B for a total of 8 batteries wired in parallel (through the Lynx).

Question is. What happens if a lightning strike or something causes isolation of Battery Bank A or Battery Bank B? (Battery Bank A being 4 batteries on the left, B the four on the right). A fuse and/or C/B pops, and 4 of the 8 batteries are isolated from the system. Will the two MPPTs continue to produce 400 amp to send to the batteries? Will the Victron System know half the batteries are offline because of something abnormal since the Pylontech batteries communicate with the Multiplus inverters or Cerbo GX (comm wires not shown). Can I program the Victron system to throttle charge to 200A max if all batteries are not online?

If the MPPTs don't throttle the charging power in response to this event, I would assume this would lead the other battery path fuse and/or C/B to pop and thereby all batteries would be isolated. What happens to the current then? Do the MPPTs still produce it and where does it go? I assume the MPPTs stop pushing the current because there is no longer a demand for it (from the batteries) so it will just travel to the inverters if needed.

Note, I cannot increase the size of the cables from the batteries to the buses for this scenario because Pylontech uses a proprietary terminal connector that is limited to about 130 amp.

Thanks for any education you can offer!

Attachments

• DC Distro 1.jpg
    DC Distro 1.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 10
  • DC Distro 2.jpg
    DC Distro 2.jpg
    313.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
An updated cap from an angle better shows the wires in case that's helpful.

Attachments

• Setup.jpg
    Setup.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
It appears that the Cerbo GX can see individual batteries. And the Cerbo can direct SCCs to limit current. So hopefully the logic exists to have the SCCs only provide half the current if only half the batteries are online. Even though half the batteries would be able to take the full 400A current, the wires would be getting current twice what they're rated for so if the MPPT doesn't limit the amps to 200 then it would blow the other fuse and isolate all the batteries.

We could just wire all the batteries individually to the bus bar and then it would be a non-issue since no matter what the cables would only get 100A even if half the batteries were isolated.setup2.jpg

Last edited:
Back