diy solar

diy solar

Victron multi 12/3000 popping 110 breaker

Theonlyduke

Inverter/110 power question here. I just upgraded my new to me rv with 2 x lithium (old was 2 x 6v lead), 2x 300 watt solar panels to Victron 100/50 mppt, and victron multiplus 12/3000 (replacing old xantrex freedom 458 2500). Solar is working great. I connected old inverter the same way as the xantrex. Inverter works great unless I plug in to shore power. Then it trips the shore outlet breaker. If I turn to charge only it trips shore breaker after 15-20 seconds. Right now the 110 for inverter goes through a 20 amp breaker in the 110 panel, then to inverter with 2 110’s back to run outlets and microwave off inverter. I am going to re-wire the 110 panel to have auto transfer run to inverter and run the 110 panel fully from the inverter. I’m curious why it’s tripping the breaker though since it’s hooked up the same? I checked AC power in with multimeter and it’s correct. The prior installer used loose wire, 2 blue and a white for AC in so that was fun.

Multiplus can limit input current so it won't overload a weak shore input. What is your input current set to?

When you say you plug into shore power, are you plugging into a 30A source or a 50A source at a RV site, or at home into a regular 15A (or maybe 20A) outlet?

Why is your inverter going into a 20A breaker? What do you mean by "then to inverter with 2 110’s"?

It would be helpful to show an actual wiring diagram or include some pictures. In my cargo trailer setup with a Victron 24V/2000W inverter I have something like this:

30A shore plug --- 2 pole 32A breaker --- Inverter AC In

Inverter AC out --- 50A main breaker in breaker panel

And then my breaker panel has 3 branch circuit breakers. Two 15A and one 20A. Each of those three branch circuit breakers control lines going to the 110 outlets.

Connected to a 15 amp gfci at my house. Attached a quick schematic

Attachments

• rv power diagram.pdf
    24.2 KB · Views: 12
And it’s a 2004 30 amp rv so the wiring is older. What’s got me stumped is it’s the same outlet I used with the old inverter with no issues. I don’t know why the old inverter ran through a 20 amp breaker. That is one thing I’m going to fix. Power direct from auto transfer switch to inverter. Then from inverter to panel and put microwave and outlets back on their breakers.

I was just going to say that. To me (and I'm no expert by any means) the transfer switch should go directly to the inverter's AC-in. The inverter's AC-out should go to the main circuit breaker in the breaker panel. And then all of your 110 lines should go to the branch breakers in the breaker panel.

This means all AC in your RV runs off of the inverter. And then optionally the inverter can get powered by either shore power or the generator when the batteries are not enough.

This is why. You need to set the current limit to match the power available at shore/generator.
I have a Multiplus setup with the current limit at 30A. When I plug my shore power (using an adapter) into a regular 15A outlet at my house it works just fine. No breakers trip. But my setup is different than the OP's as I described in my first reply to this thread.

I have a Multiplus setup with the current limit at 30A. When I plug my shore power (using an adapter) into a regular 15A outlet at my house it works just fine. No breakers trip. But my setup is different than the OP's as I described in my first reply to this thread.

It *can* work but only because your load (including charging!) *happens* to not go over 15. To prevent tripping the breaker, you must reduce the setting.

It *can* work but only because your load (including charging!) *happens* to not go over 15. To prevent tripping the breaker, you must reduce the setting.
I'm embarrassed that that didn't occur to me. You are right. So far my inverter usage has been no more than what I would plug into a single outlet. Time to go change my current limit to 15A.

Back