diy solar

diy solar

Victron Multiplus 24/3000 cutting out at 750W

The Multiplus 24/3000 is not a Bluetooth device, so either the MK 3 USB or BT dongle is required to program it. This unit’s default settings are programmed so that it runs from shore power first if it is available, switches to batteries (like a ups) automatically when shore power fails or is absent. It will also supplement shore power with battery power if the incoming power is below voltage spec.
You do need the BT dongle if you want to connect to the multiplus but as said above you do not have full access. For full access you need the MK3 to usb. I needed the mks to usb to change the current input limit so I could use a 1000 watt generator for shore power.

You do need the BT dongle if you want to connect to the multiplus but as said above you do not have full access. For full access you need the MK3 to usb. I needed the mks to usb to change the current input limit so I could use a 1000 watt generator for shore power.
I can change the current limit on my phone using VictronConnect via Bluetooth. I can also switch the inverter on or off or into charge-only mode. No MK3 needed to do those tasks. But the MK3 is needed for setup.

I can change the current limit on my phone using VictronConnect via Bluetooth. I can also switch the inverter on or off or into charge-only mode. No MK3 needed to do those tasks. But the MK3 is needed for setup.
Sorry, you are correct, I misspoke. I needed the MK3 to usb to change the parameters to allow the electrodacus sbms0 to turn the inverter and charger on and off

So here's what I looked at last night to try to figure this out.

1. Unfortunately I could not connect with my dongle to the inverter. I spoke to a Victron tech this morning and he explained that it's most likely a driver issue on my laptop.

2. From what I can see, the inverter is trying to bulk charge the batteries even if the batteries are at 100% this would most likely explain why it's cutting out when turning on appliances in the trailer since the inverter is trying to charge batteries at full capacity at the same time.

3. I just found out that one of the largest distributor and installer of Victron product in Canada is 10 minutes from my house. So since I can't connect with my MK3-USB anyway, I will have them adjust all the settings for me and this will hopefully fix all of my electrical issues. They also have Bluetooth dongles in stock, so I will use one of those moving forward.

4. Does anyone use a "soft start" for their air conditioner? Is it necessary?

So here's what I looked at last night to try to figure this out.

1. Unfortunately I could not connect with my dongle to the inverter. I spoke to a Victron tech this morning and he explained that it's most likely a driver issue on my laptop.

2. From what I can see, the inverter is trying to bulk charge the batteries even if the batteries are at 100% this would most likely explain why it's cutting out when turning on appliances in the trailer since the inverter is trying to charge batteries at full capacity at the same time.

3. I just found out that one of the largest distributor and installer of Victron product in Canada is 10 minutes from my house. So since I can't connect with my MK3-USB anyway, I will have them adjust all the settings for me and this will hopefully fix all of my electrical issues. They also have Bluetooth dongles in stock, so I will use one of those moving forward.

#3 is a very, very smart move. They can likely point you to the needed PC drivers, as well.

I recently watched a video where the owner of an Airstream added a soft start to his AC and the lowered start up load allowed him to run his from a small generator. I imagine the load reduction effect would be the same on a battery system.

I will be once I upgrade my inverter to handle the air conditioner load. Even if I was planning to run the air conditioner only on the generator, a soft start is a good idea as it reduces the surge stress on the generator.

Turns out the shut downs were caused by the BMS of the batteries. The default setting of the Multiplus is Lead-Acid, which caused a slight over-voltage and would cause the batteries to reset once in a while.

Now that I've had a professional adjust the settings, everything works amazingly well. The AC can run full blast without a soft start.

He also said that the 120 to 12V built in converter is not interfering with my 24V system. However, The lack of a 12V battery could put strain on it, which could lead to failure. Being that if that unit failed, I could not even bring the slide in or operate the jacks, I will install a new Orion buck converter with a transfer switch in the system as a backup. They key here is that they cannot both run at the same time, as the technician confirmed my fear that the Orion fried due to the loop that it created with the other converter.

Now i'm off to installing the solar panels and I should be all done :)

The default setting of the Multiplus is Lead-Acid, which caused a slight over-voltage and would cause the batteries to reset once in a while.
I think we arrived at "you should configure your Multiplus" quite a while ago! For lead acid, it may have been performing an equalization which can be an LiFePO4 killer according to the lore.

Glad you're up and running! Keep us posted on any changes and more likely, your NEXT solar project!

Back