diy solar

diy solar

Victron Multiplus and BMS

aaron_c

Hi yall, sorry for the really basic question.

So I gather that a Victron Multiplus works as both an inverter and a charger for LifPO4 batteries. But what I can't figure out is whether it works as a battery management system as well. It seems like it doesn't, but I want to be sure.

Which leads me to the second question: If the Victron Multiplus is just an inverter and a charger, is there any advantage of getting one over just getting a separate inverter and charger (I picked two that, um, the guy who wrote the book and started the forum suggests).

So I just wanted to check, before I plonk down the cash, that I've got the picture right.

Hi yall, sorry for the really basic question.

So I gather that a Victron Multiplus works as both an inverter and a charger for LifPO4 batteries. But what I can't figure out is whether it works as a battery management system as well. It seems like it doesn't, but I want to be sure.

Nope not a BMS, just a quality inverter/charger

Which leads me to the second question: If the Victron Multiplus is just an inverter and a charger, is there any advantage of getting one over just getting a separate inverter and charger (I picked two that, um, the guy who wrote the book and started the forum suggests).

The Victron is much higher quality compared to the Giandel (and probably the progressive dynamics converter too). There is cost savings buy combining the two in one package so better bang for your buck in theory. Further the Victron has some advanced features customizability that set it apart. And it fits well within the rest of the Victron ecosystem if you will be buying other victron components.

In short, you won't regret going with the Victron Inverter/Charger if you can afford it. Its top notch quality.

Thanks Dzl. Smoothjoey also responded in another thread and told me that the Victron will automatically switch ground contacts when plugged into shore power. Which is important for safety and insurance reasons in an RV, which is what I'll be using this in. So that also swayed me. But good to know it's just better quality generally.

Reactions: Dzl
Thanks Dzl. Smoothjoey also responded in another thread and told me that the Victron will automatically switch ground contacts when plugged into shore power. Which is important for safety and insurance reasons in an RV, which is what I'll be using this in. So that also swayed me. But good to know it's just better quality generally.

I didn't say anything about Victron.
I think the Victrons are good units but I didn't recommend a specific brand.
What I did recommend was a ul-458 listed inverter/charger and I explained why in this post https://diysolarforum.com/threads/making-sure-my-setup-will-work.11521/post-127429

Last edited:
Back