diy solar

diy solar

Victron Multiplus Compact 12/2000/80 120V Question

Horsefly

Solar Wizard
I'm trying to help a friend transition his sailboat house battery to LFP and upgrade his surrounding equipment. He purchased a Victron Multiplus Compact Inverter/Charger. This one is 12V 2000VA with an 80A charger. It's apparently the older model, and the manual doesn't even discuss LFP. The default charging profile is bulk / absorption at 14.4V, and float at 13.8V, but the manual says I can choose one of the other profiles by changing the dip switches. 14.4V is too high, and would likely cause one or more cells to trip the HVD on the BMS. One setting is supposed to lower the bulk / absorption to 14.1V and float to 13.8V. That's still higher than I would like, but would be OK for now.

I hooked up a small 50Ah LFP battery with a JBD BMS, and set the dip switches to the lower setting. Unfortunately, the dip switch settings don't seem to do anything, and the battery charge stayed at 14.4V. I even tried changing the dip switches back and forth, and never saw the charge voltage change. As I feared, the BMS hit HVD and disconnected the charging.

I've got the Victron USB dongle coming tomorrow, so I should be able to configure everything at that point with my laptop.

Has anyone attempted to use the dip switches to set the charge voltage on one of these Multiplus Compact units?

Double check the manual on the DIP switches. I have the 24/2000/50 and for that one you need to toggle (off->on->off) switch 8 after setting all of the other switches for the changes to be registered.

Double check the manual on the DIP switches. I have the 24/2000/50 and for that one you need to toggle (off->on->off) switch 8 after setting all of the other switches for the changes to be registered.
@rmaddy you are awesome!

The statement in the manual is almost hidden, at the end of the whole section on programming, even after the "Exemplary Settings" section. I never would have seen that.

I also discovered that you have to have the inverter/charger turned on to either charge or invert when you do the ON-OFF of dip 8 for it to take effect.

Thank you!

Hey @rmaddy - One more question: Have you used a laptop to change the configuration of the Multiplus Compact? I'm curious if that works as described.

Also, do you have yours hooked in with other Victron stuff, like the Cerbo GX? My friend is buying a Cerbo GX and the color touchscreen, and I'm hoping this inverter provides some status.

Yes, I have setup my MultiPlus with my laptop using the MK3-USB adapter. Most things can be setup with VictronConnect on the computer. A few things require using VEConfig.

My MultiPlus is good friends with a Victron SmartSolar SCC and a BMV-712. They talk together all day passing notes. They are all hooked up with a Raspberry Pi which effectively is the same as a Cerbo GX. With the Cerbo GX you'll be able to see the status of each component and even control the MultiPlus. You'll be able to turn it on or off and switch between inverter and charge-only. You should also be able to adjust the AC-in current limit.

Yes, I have setup my MultiPlus with my laptop using the MK3-USB adapter. Most things can be setup with VictronConnect on the computer. A few things require using VEConfig.

My MultiPlus is good friends with a Victron SmartSolar SCC and a BMV-712. They talk together all day passing notes. They are all hooked up with a Raspberry Pi which effectively is the same as a Cerbo GX. With the Cerbo GX you'll be able to see the status of each component and even control the MultiPlus. You'll be able to turn it on or off and switch between inverter and charge-only. You should also be able to adjust the AC-in current limit.
That's all great to hear! Can you reassure me a little more? Is yours the "Compact" model? I don't know the differences between all these, and this one looks a bit older and maybe missing some features. I see there is a Multiplus, Multiplus Compact, and Multiplus II.

That's all great to hear! Can you reassure me a little more? Is yours the "Compact" model? I don't know the differences between all these, and this one looks a bit older and maybe missing some features. I see there is a Multiplus, Multiplus Compact, and Multiplus II.
Mine is a compact model. I’m fairly sure everything I stated in my previous reply applies to all of the MultiPlus inverter/chargers.

Back