diy solar

diy solar

Victron MultiPlus II 12/3000/120-50 2x120V Installation Question.

PeterH

My camper is set up by the factory for 50 amp service. The Factory used 6/3 AWG with (about) a 12 AWG bare copper ground wire between the shore power connector and the A/C distribution panel.

I am installing a new Victron MultiPlus II 12/3000/120-50 2x120V inverter.

Question: Did I make a mistake buying the wrong A/C cable for this installation? I bought the same cable that the factory used, with that bare copper ground wire. Now, I see on the AM Solar tutorial for wiring the inverter, they used 6/4 AWG cable with an insulated 6 AWG ground.

I really don't want to have to pull out the cable I've already installed! I believe that I have successfully connected the cable on the output side, using that 12 AWG bare copper wire for the A/C ground line, in the inverter. I really don't like those push-in connectors on the new multiplus... it is hard to tell that I have successfully inserted the wires in far enough to fully engage with the connector. Might be easier with the fine strand 6AWG wires, but with the cable I bought, and that the factory used, the wire is too stiff to be easily maneuvered into the connector. The older post and ring connectors, it wouldn't be a question.

What is the difference for that ground wire on the A/C side? I will have the inverter's case grounded to the chassis with a 3 or 4 AWG cable as recommended, but that is on the DC side of things.

Thoughts anyone??

It depends on how you are wiring your rig.
12 ga wire can handle 20 amps. The loads that are connected to your Multiplus. Can you use more than 20 amps when you are at a campground that has a 50 amp connection?

Microwave + hairdryer + coffee maker + toaster = trouble!!!

6/4 wire would be much better! And can handle 50 amps
6 ga = 50 amps
8 ga = 40 amps
10 ga = 30 amps
12 ga = 20 amps

I think this is a case of do it right once - even though it will be tougher.

So the 50A connector as installed from the factory had 3 6 ga insulated wires running to the power panel for L1, L2 and neutral. And then a separate bare copper 12 ga wire for ground? Is that correct?

I've been looking at the same issue. The shore power (50 amp) connection on my Grand Designs Reflection 315RLTS is 15 feet from the front pass through, where I want to install my new Multiplus 2. I was thinking that I could disconnect the wiring from the shore power input and butt connect a new wire running from my Multiplus 2 output 1. I would then run a cable to original location of my single battery (immediately behind the propane tanks) and add a new 50 amp shore power connection there, built into a large box I've installed there. My lifepo4 batteries are also located in my front pass through.

Looking at the cable I would need, I've priced out 6/3 + 8/1 cable (the ground is the 8 guage and is bare wire). This matches what is in all of the 50 amp RV extension cables.

Looking forward to your thoughts on this.

Do you have a generator? If not - then I think you are good.
If you do, you need to take the power after the ATS (auto transfer switch)

So the power goes on shore: shore power - ATS- Multiplus - circuit breaker box.

And on generator: generator- ATS - Multiplus- circuit breaker box.

That is good wire to use.

Back