diy solar

diy solar

Victron Multiplus II 2x120 - Too Loud?

jc1409

I'm considering a Victron Multiplus II 2x120 for a 45 foot boat environment, but wondering if the fan / other noises from the unit would be too much for the small space? I've seen some reports of relatively high noise from this unit, and wondering if anyone has some real-world experiences.

I've current got separate battery chargers and a 2k W inverter, and none make noise - want to increase inverting capability and also like the combined charging of the multiplus. I've got 50a split service so the MP II 2x120 seems okay.

Any experiences with this unit in an enclosed boat environment? The unit would sit in the far aft area of the boat, but not too far from one of the cabins (wall and some space in between).
thanks
Jeff

Last edited:
I'm considering a Victron Multiplus II 2x120 for a 45 foot boat environment, but wondering if the fan / other noises from the unit would be too much for the small space? I've seen some reports of relatively high noise from this unit, and wondering if anyone has some real-world experiences.

I've current got separate battery chargers and a 2k W inverter, and none make noise - want to increase inverting capability and also like the combined charging of the multiplus. I've got 50a split service so the MP II 2x120 seems okay.

Any experiences with this unit in an enclosed boat environment? The unit would sit in the far aft area of the boat, but not too far from one of the cabins (wall and some space in between).
thanks
Jeff
In an RV, not a boat, but our unit is under the master bed. For us, it had been "noisy" when it seemed like it was in float charging mode forever. Changed the settings so it wouldn't sit there at night trying to constantly charge. Problem solved.

In an RV, all the inverting ends as you shut down the activity and go to bed, so haven't noticed any bothersome noises from that side. It's certainly not loud enough to be noticeable during the days.

How loud are the items that require inverting? Quite possibly significantly louder than the unit.

Can also isolate the unit. Rubber or other "feet" would go a long way towards minimizing any transmission of the noises/vibrations.

Thanks for feedback - when it was noisy during float charging, was that due to the fan noise?
Any ambient 'hum' sound during normal operations - e.g., including when not charging or inverting?

I'm guessing that I will just have to install the thing, use it under load and charge with it, to get personal experience.

Will definitely try the rubber foot to dampen if it's too much.

Thanks for feedback - when it was noisy during float charging, was that due to the fan noise?
Any ambient 'hum' sound during normal operations - e.g., including when not charging or inverting?

I'm guessing that I will just have to install the thing, use it under load and charge with it, to get personal experience.

Will definitely try the rubber foot to dampen if it's too much.
No, not fan noise. More of a toroidal transformer hum. When not charging it has been essentially silent.

JC1409: Instead of the Multiplus 2, you could consider the older series units Multiplus or Quattro, which have a thicker case. It would cost more, but might not be as susceptible to noise transmitted through the case itself. Just speculating...no real world experience to back that statement up. I do have a 3kva Quattro, and the hum is very mild. Have never noted any case vibration, rattling, etc. Not on a boat or RV though.

The suggestion TAS made to use rubber isolation feet is a good one. I try to do that when ever possible.

Hi I have a Victron Multi 12/2000/80 when charging thr batteries when they are say 75% state of charge after a few mins this noise starts. It is not the top cooling fans, and stops when the batteries are nearly full. It will also happen when using the inverter for the coffee machine.
I have 4 x 175 watt solar panels, 2 x 100 amp Transporter Lithium batteries. All are newly installed but currently in France not back to the UK for three months

Back