diy solar

diy solar

Victron Multiplus II Install Notes

caymaanedge

Finished the upgrade of my Victron Multiplus II 2x120. Here are some notes from the install.

1) Had to run new 6/4 from auto transfer switch to inverter And from inverter to 120v panel. Previous wiring had the wiring going from auto transfer to panel and then out and back to inverter. This was a bit of a pain as routine cables through the RV is not easy.

2) Existing 120v panel had separate bus for the shore power feed and inverter feed. I had to install 30amp breakers and wire between both sections in order to to connect them together since there is now only one power feed. Also had to jump the neutral bars, ground bar was a single connected bar already.

3) MK3-USB was used for programming, but getting the driver loaded on the laptop and set-up was not straight forward. Seems lots of people have problems with it.
4) Bluetooth dongle was simple and provided an easy on/off switch if desired. I also wired a physical remote on/off switch for manually powering down and ran some wire to the chassis batteries to utilize the trickle charge function.

Current set-up
680ah LifePO4
1140watts PV
MPPT 150/85
Multiplus ii
Smart Shunt
VE Direct Bluetooth Dongle
Inverter Bluetooth Dongle

i have decided to run it as is for a while and decide if I want to install the Cerbo/Touch monitoring set-up. It looks awesome but I’m not sure I will use it much and there are known issues when running extension cords between the units, plus it’s another $600. Currently I use the Victron Connect app via Bluetooth. It has good info but even with the Bluetooth extension it’s range is limited.

Everything in the coach will run off the batteries/inverter. My AC units have soft starts, and firing one up was quick and simple and presented no issues. FYI, monitoring showed I could run one unit for 6-7hrs.

i have decided to run it as is for a while and decide if I want to install the Cerbo/Touch monitoring set-up. It looks awesome but I’m not sure I will use it much and there are known issues when running extension cords between the units, plus it’s another $600.
What are the 'known issues'?

I’m starting to look at the Multiplus II for a particular use-case and would appreciate your thoughts on some specific questions I have.

First and foremost, when in-grid and the transfer switches are closed, are they bidirectional or does the Multiplus II detect reverse current as a fault condition?

I’m looking at getting a V2H-capable bidirectional EV charger which will charge the EV using solar power by day and will offset lowers at night.

If the EV-charger/inverter is connected to the x Multiplus II and generating the needed split-phase power to offset grid consumption, will the Multiplus II pass through that generated power or will the reverse AC current trigger a fault condition?

thanks.

Back