diy solar

diy solar

Victron Multiplus Install 12/3000/120-50

Heavymetal53

I recently purchased the new victron Multiplus 12/3000/120-50. Add need some guidance on how to install it and property wire it.

Currently my 5th wheel has a converter and inverter from factory. The inverter only powers 1 outlet which is where the residential fridge is connected to.

(there’s also a transfer switch with both shore power and inverter power (batteries) to power the refrigerator depending if we are hooked up or not).

From the research I’ve done, it looks like I’ll have to disconnect the factory inverter/converter (might leaving them in place for an easy retro fit if I sell the 5th wheel without the new system.)

After wiring the 50amp (shore power in) to the multiplus and then to the main AC Panel, how will the DC side receive power?

Only from the battery output? In other words I’ll lose the capability of the 12v system running directly from shore power (via the converter)?

(Attachted is a wiring diagram of the current factory set up)

Attachments

• DC560CF0-6A70-4242-8F52-AE308C16970E.png
    DC560CF0-6A70-4242-8F52-AE308C16970E.png
    278 KB · Views: 44
The image you posted is unreadable so I can't address how that is setup.

Basically there is no need for a converter when using an inverter/charger like the Multiplus. DC is no longer directly run off of shore power via the converter. It's run off of the battery which is being charged from shore power.

Unless I misunderstand how the new Multiplus works, in regard to your question it works like most inverter/chargers. The shore power is wired to the inverter AC in. Your AC circuits are wired to the inverter AC out. The battery is connected to the inverter's battery terminals. All of your DC stuff is wired (indirectly) to the battery. Whether you are connected to shore power or not, all DC circuits run off of the battery. When not connected to shore power the AC circuits run off of the battery via the inverter. When you connect to shore power then the DC stuff is still running off of the battery but the charger half of the inverter/charger is keeping the battery charged from the shore power. And the AC circuits get their power from shore power. The inverter can be setup with power assist allowing it to tap additional power from the battery if needed (if the shore power isn't enough briefly).

The image you posted is unreadable so I can't address how that is setup.

Basically there is no need for a converter when using an inverter/charger like the Multiplus. DC is no longer directly run off of shore power via the converter. It's run off of the battery which is being charged from shore power.

Unless I misunderstand how the new Multiplus works, in regard to your question it works like most inverter/chargers. The shore power is wired to the inverter AC in. Your AC circuits are wired to the inverter AC out. The battery is connected to the inverter's battery terminals. All of your DC stuff is wired (indirectly) to the battery. Whether you are connected to shore power or not, all DC circuits run off of the battery. When not connected to shore power the AC circuits run off of the battery via the inverter. When you connect to shore power then the DC stuff is still running off of the battery but the charger half of the inverter/charger is keeping the battery charged from the shore power. And the AC circuits get their power from shore power. The inverter can be setup with power assist allowing it to tap additional power from the battery if needed (if the shore power isn't enough briefly).
Thank you for the response. It all makes sense now. I Just need to run power from the DC bus to the DC side of the panel.

Back