diy solar

diy solar

Victron or Samlex for isolated circuits in residential

JAS

Solar Enthusiast
Hello,

I'm looking to setup a small solar/battery system for a few circuits in my home (US). I'm only looking initially to run a few lights and internet router/WiFi, and have the option to run my fridge and/or freezer overnight during a power outage. I currently have an 8 circuit manual generator transfer switch that I can switch individual circuits from "gen" to "normal". I'd like to get an inverter/charger to feed this transfer switch with. However, my requirements are UL 1741 listed and the ability to remove the neutral/ground bond from the Inverter (since my panel already has a n/g bond).

These requirements leave me with Victron and Samlex as the only (reasonably priced) options. I realize the MPP Solar also has an option that is a 48v model. I'd like to go Victron for all the integration and connectivity ability. However, Victron appears to be almost entirely geared toward RV/Marine. Their UL listed options are also currently limited to just the 3000VA 12v & 24v multiplus models.

Is anyone here already doing the same and what's your experience?

On a side note, I already have (1) 100AH Battleborn battery. Because of this, I'd like to stay 12v (in order to avoid the cost of buying more batteries up front to go 24v or 48v equipment. However, how do these reputable companies endorse the safety of pushing surge wattage of 6000W thru a 12v system? Can the BMS' in 12V batteries even handle that many amps? (I'm thinking I would have to parallel several batteries to support that kind of surge?)

Thanks,

Jeff

I am running a Victron 24/3000 as a critical loads backup. It has worked out so well I added 600 watts of solar to keep the battery topped off (they were cheap and easy to get) and now run my refrigerator on it 24 hours a day. I regularly cycle between 25% and 35% of battery capacity with mostly sunny days. (If I get more than 2 days of clouds/rain I might need to charge from the grid) I recently added a Raspberry Pi running Victron's Venus OS for remote monitoring. I should have done this from the beginning as the ability to monitor and adjust settings from anywhere is amazing.

Here are some observations:
1) the 24 volt version has been rock solid for me. I would consider the 12/3000 only in an RV that has to stay 12 volts.
2) I have been through a bunch of the settings in trying to figure out what works best for me. Learning the capabilities above what I originally considered necessary are what convinced me to add to my system.
3) You can always add more battery capacity. BUT. The manual has minimum suggested battery capacities, and the minimums are exactly that. I have the minimum 200ah at 24 volts, (equal to 4 Battle Born) and I am now shopping for more battery capacity.
4) You will not be disappointed with the Victron. I don't use anywhere close to all of the features it has available.
5) Power Assist is amazing.
6) I am cycling my system daily, but If I wanted it to sit fully charged all the time waiting for a power outage, I would look hard at AGM batteries instead of LiFePo4. I bought LiFePo4 because they are the latest and greatest, but now understand they don't really like to sit fully charged. That is one of the reasons I added a few solar panels and now run the fridge from the system full time.

Link in my sig has photos from when I first powered it up, and a couple of the updates.

Q-Dog,

Thanks for the great feedback! Yes, my better sense tells me I should go at least 24v. I'm just being cheap, because I know I'll need at least another battery up front before I can even start if I go 24v. I also plan to be cycling daily.

Question: What happens if you have less Ah than the suggested minimum? I'm guessing the suggested minimum is designed to match the 3000VA continuous output? So can I assume I can get by with a smaller battery if I don't expect to be using more than around 1000VA continuous initially?

Thanks,

J

I would suggest you read through the manual. It answers some of these kinds of questions. My fridge, by itself, uses 1/4 to 1/3 of my total battery capacity from sundown to sunup. Since 1 Battle born is only 1/4 of the capacity of my battery, you may find yourself with zero power by the tie you wake up.

Also, 6000 watts at 12 volts is well over 400 amps. Can one Battle Born do that?

Also, 6000 watts at 12 volts is well over 400 amps. Can one Battle Born do that?
Yeah, I know the answer to that is NO, not even close. Probably more around 100 amps. I know if I start with just my Internet Router, Switch, & WiFi, I'll never even get close to the 3000VA, but still.... Why do they even make a 12v unit of this size?

Also, thanks for the battery usage of your fridge!

Back