diy solar

diy solar

Victron over-paneling?

pollenface

Solar Addict
My Smartsolar 100/30 specifies a "nominal PV power" of 880w @ 24v

Is this the nominal PV input or output? (I note 29.2v*30a = 876w)

There's no reference I've found in the manual to over-paneling apart from the following

1. The solar charger will limit input power if more PV power is connected.
2. A higher short circuit current may damage the solar charger in case of reverse polarity connection of the PV array.

My epevers stated 1.5* charging power.

Could I theoretically go 1500w pv input without fear?

I don't fully understand your question.
My inverter has a max input current rating per MPPT. I designed the array so that the string can never exceed this current rating, even if the semiconductors in the MPPT fail.

There's no reference I've found in the manual to over-paneling apart from the following

1. The solar charger will limit input power if more PV power is connected.
2. A higher short circuit current may damage the solar charger in case of reverse polarity connection of the PV array.

Could I theoretically go 1500w pv input without fear?
Note #1 basically means that any potential for more than 30A of charge current will be limited to 30A.
Note #2 is important. The 100/30 is limited to 35A for Isc. Do not exceed that. BTW - when I look at the spec sheet for the 100/30, note #2 simply states: "A PV array with a higher short circuit current may damage the controller."

And of course there is the 100V limit on the Voc of your array.

If your 1500W array has a temperature adjusted Voc under 100V and an Isc under 35A then it shouldn't hurt anything having the extra wattage over the nominal 880W.

A 1500W array could potentially allow for up to about 55A of charge current. With the 30A limit you are losing a lot of potential in the right conditions. I assume you want to over panel this much due to a lot of poor solar days.

Back