diy solar

diy solar

Victron Phoenix inverter grounding

BlueMarblePA

Solar Enthusiast
In this video, he opens up the Victron Phoenix, and he finds two options -- Floating ground versus earth ground. He pulls out the jumper from floating and plugs it into ground. I assume he then takes the chassis ground and connects that to earth ground. Should I do the same for my off-grid shed installation?

You should have only one N-G bond in an entire system. If you already have one (like at the panel), the inverter should float. If you don't already have one, the inverter should be N-G bonded.

In either case, the grounding lug should be connected to the existing ground.

Battery negative to 'ground' also, inverter case cable link to 'ground' should be one size down on DC inverter feed cable.

You should have only one N-G bond in an entire system. If you already have one (like at the panel), the inverter should float. If you don't already have one, the inverter should be N-G bonded.

In either case, the grounding lug should be connected to the existing ground.
In my shed I don't have a panel. Hence, the only ac outlet will be the Phoenix inverter outlet which made me think I need to ground the inverter.

I am planning to drive an eight foot copper ground into earth this weekend. I will ground the solar panels and the inverter to this rod.

Battery negative to 'ground' also, inverter case cable link to 'ground' should be one size down on DC inverter feed cable.
I have to research battery negative to ground.

I have not yet figured out size of my MPPT to 24v battery and then battery to victron 24/800watt inverter yet. But based on your comments I will size the ground one size down

In my shed I don't have a panel. Hence, the only ac outlet will be the Phoenix inverter outlet which made me think I need to ground the inverter.

I am planning to drive an eight foot copper ground into earth this weekend. I will ground the solar panels and the inverter to this rod.

In this case, the N-G bond should be in the Inverter.

In this case, the N-G bond should be in the Inverter.
In this diagram, I am creating the ground from the inverter chassis to earth ground. Do I need to also earth ground the battery terminal negative? I was not planning on doing that. I am also going to earth ground my solar panel pv array.

Attachments

• 20221020_174032.jpg
    20221020_174032.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 19
In this video at 14:47 he does a great job of explaining why small solar generators with isolated transformers IT do not use an earth ground.

I plan to use a Victron Phoenix 1200 inverter connected to a transfer switch (ProTran2) grounded to the main panel. The inverter came with a GFCI outlet and the bonding conector inside came in the neutral bonded connector. Can anyone tell me if I need to move to the floating neutral position since the GFCI will be permanently connected to the transfer switch. Will the GFCI will pop every time i turn off or on the breaker?

I plan to use a Victron Phoenix 1200 inverter connected to a transfer switch (ProTran2) grounded to the main panel. The inverter came with a GFCI outlet and the bonding conector inside came in the neutral bonded connector. Can anyone tell me if I need to move to the floating neutral position since the GFCI will be permanently connected to the transfer switch. Will the GFCI will pop every time i turn off or on the breaker?
I am not an expert and am just a beginner. But I think you should keep it floating. Let the neutral to ground bond happen at one place - - main panel.

I am not an expert and am just a beginner. But I think you should keep it floating. Let the neutral to ground bond happen at one place - - main panel.
I connected it with the floating neutral. When i used the default setting of the inverter, (neutral bonded) the GFCI outlet breaker was popping out. The only complaint is i am noticing (only me, almost unnoticeable ) some flickering on some LED (dimmable) lights. The case is grounded to the main inverter also. Thanks

Back