diy solar

diy solar

Victron Quattro 48/15000

rci

I had a previous idea but delayed it to do some research and am now trying something different.
I'm trying to design a ground mount Victron system that provides power for home and includes 230V power for a dryer, range, water heater, etc. I was going to use a couple of Victron 5000/48 inverters with a couple of Victron SmartSolar MPPT 450/100-Tr charge controllers for a split phase system but on further investigation I realized the number of bi-facial solar panels I want to eventually have (24 ea. BlueSun 460W-->575W potential) would exceed the limit of the 2 inverters I was thinking of using. I am seeing that Victron makes an Inverter (Victron Quattro 48/15000) that will take the input and will supply the 230V output to supply current for the 230V appliances (if I'm understanding correctly). I also see that Victron has a Charge Controller (Victron SmartSolar MPPT RS 450/200-Tr) that might be appropriate for the 15000/48 Inverter....... I'm confused about whether one MPPT 450/100-Tr will suffice for the 15000/48 Inverter. I'm learning but it's a lot to unpack before going through the process and making the mistakes most people make to learn what's what..... I'd like to get a little help with this first decision. Am I on to a solution or is it flawed.
I just thought of something I may have gotten wrong/misunderstood- This Victron 15000/48 doesn't say that the output is 120/230V so is there access to 120V ? I think I'm over my head on this and I can't find anything about this inverter other than the sales information.

TIA......... rci

Last edited:
I had a previous idea but delayed it to do some research and am now trying something different.
I'm trying to design a ground mount Victron system that provides power for home and includes 230V power for a dryer, range, water heater, etc. I was going to use a couple of Victron 5000/48 inverters with a couple of Victron SmartSolar MPPT 450/100-Tr charge controllers for a split phase system but on further investigation I realized the number of bi-facial solar panels I want to eventually have (24 ea. BlueSun 460W-->575W potential) would exceed the limit of the 2 inverters

No it will not. The inverters don't care how much solar is attached as the panels are connected to the MPPT. Two 450/100 would be a little over-paneled assuming a mid-range power of 525W.

24 * 525W = 12600W

Each MPPT can handle 5800W for 11,600W total

You will be 8.6% over-paneled. Note that it's RARE for an array to exceed 90% rated capacity. You might lose 2% of your array output on an annual basis.

I was thinking of using. I am seeing that Victron makes an Inverter (Victron Quattro 48/15000) that will take the input and will supply the 230V output to supply current for the 230V appliances (if I'm understanding correctly). I also see that Victron has a Charge Controller (Victron SmartSolar MPPT RS 450/200-Tr) that might be appropriate for the 15000/48 Inverter....... I'm confused about whether one MPPT 450/100-Tr will suffice for the 15000/48 Inverter. I'm learning but it's a lot to unpack before going through the process and making the mistakes most people make to learn what's what..... I'd like to get a little help with this first decision. Am I on to a solution or is it flawed.

N/A

You design your array based on your energy needs.
You select your MPPT(s) based on your array.
You select your inverter based on your loads.

Note that there is no link between array and inverter in the above.

I just thought of something I may have gotten wrong/misunderstood- This Victron 15000/48 doesn't say that the output is 120/230V so is there access to 120V ? I think I'm over my head on this and I can't find anything about this inverter other than the sales information.

No. 230V units are EU spec 230VAC single phase @ 50Hz, however, they can be set to 240VAC/60Hz, and you could get 120/240VAC split phase with an Autotransformer.

It's all in the datasheet.

Personally, I went with 2X 48/5000 configured in split phase.

No it will not. The inverters don't care how much solar is attached as the panels are connected to the MPPT. Two 450/100 would be a little over-paneled assuming a mid-range power of 525W.

24 * 525W = 12600W

Each MPPT can handle 5800W for 11,600W total

You will be 8.6% over-paneled. Note that it's RARE for an array to exceed 90% rated capacity. You might lose 2% of your array output on an annual basis.

N/A

You design your array based on your energy needs.
You select your MPPT(s) based on your array.
You select your inverter based on your loads.

Note that there is no link between array and inverter in the above.

No. 230V units are EU spec 230VAC single phase @ 50Hz, however, they can be set to 240VAC/60Hz, and you could get 120/240VAC split phase with an Autotransformer.

It's all in the datasheet.

Personally, I went with 2X 48/5000 configured in split phase.
I appreciate your reply. Once I actually saw that the 15000/48 was 230V and didn't show 120V in the output I was confused until I remembered Europe used primarily 230V power and surmised that was the reason it didn't show 120V in the output.....but wasn't sure my suspicions were right. You just confirmed that I'm not as dumb as I was afraid I was...LOL......
If I were to pursue the 15000/48 inverter and get an Autotransformer, would this one on Amazon be the one you're speaking of ?

Victron Energy Autotransformer 120/240V AC and 100 amp​

Yes.

It's worth noting that there is a limitation with that solution. There is a maximum 28A neutral current meaning, the maximum imbalanced load you can use is 28A * 120V = 3360W.

If L1 is using 0W, then L2 would be limited to 3360W (and the other way around).
If L1 is using 1000W, then L2 would be limited to 4360W (and the other way around).
If L1 is using 4000W, then L2 would be limited to 640-7360W (and the other way around).

Yes.

It's worth noting that there is a limitation with that solution. There is a maximum 28A neutral current meaning, the maximum imbalanced load you can use is 28A * 120V = 3360W.

If L1 is using 0W, then L2 would be limited to 3360W (and the other way around).
If L1 is using 1000W, then L2 would be limited to 4360W (and the other way around).
If L1 is using 4000W, then L2 would be limited to 640-7360W (and the other way around).
Thanks for your patience and good explanations..... Maybe I should stick with 2 Victron 48/5000's or something simpler and stop getting off the reservation so far. Another possibility I think I need to consider is looking into a system that is grid-tie and off grid capable. Maybe scale back my plans and do something scalable ..... anyway, thanks so much for helping, I appreciate it. rci

Thanks for your patience and good explanations..... Maybe I should stick with 2 Victron 48/5000's or something simpler and stop getting off the reservation so far. Another possibility I think I need to consider is looking into a system that is grid-tie and off grid capable. Maybe scale back my plans and do something scalable ..... anyway, thanks so much for helping, I appreciate it. rci
I would go with dual Victron 48/10000. (8,000wattsx2) Remeber the VA rating you want to multiply by .8 power factor to get your Watts rating.

I would go with dual Victron 48/10000. (8,000wattsx2) Remeber the VA rating you want to multiply by .8 power factor to get your Watts rating.

Only for inductive loads. All inverters are rated this way. Victron just confuses everyone by being transparent about it.

Important to confirm the 10K units ca be paralleled. Not all within the same range can. Some folks have been burned.

Only for inductive loads. All inverters are rated this way. Victron just confuses everyone by being transparent about it.

Important to confirm the 10K units ca be paralleled. Not all within the same range can. Some folks have been burned.
The 10k Victron Quattro's can be paralleled up to a max of 6.

This is my first post. Ive installed a very similar system. Multiplus 2 48|10000va 230v with a mppt rs 450|200 tr and 8.8kwh of pannels, 3 weeks ago. I will fit more pannels before the winter but the only thing I would do differently is I'd get a 15000va multiplus. Im in Europe so dont have any requirement for 120v

I'm trying to design a ground mount Victron system that provides power for home and includes 230V power for a dryer, range, water heater, etc. I was going to use a couple of Victron 5000/48 inverters with a couple of Victron SmartSolar MPPT 450/100-Tr charge controllers for a split phase system but on further investigation I realized the number of bi-facial solar panels I want to eventually have (24 ea. BlueSun 460W-->575W potential) would exceed the limit of the 2 inverters I was thinking of using. I am seeing that Victron makes an Inverter (Victron Quattro 48/15000) that will take the input and will supply the 230V output to supply current for the 230V appliances (if I'm understanding correctly). I also see that Victron has a Charge Controller (Victron SmartSolar MPPT RS 450/200-Tr) that might be appropriate for the 15000/48 Inverter....... I'm confused about whether one MPPT 450/100-Tr will suffice for the 15000/48 Inverter. I'm learning but it's a lot to unpack before going through the process and making the mistakes most people make to learn what's what..... I'd like to get a little help with this first decision. Am I on to a solution or is it flawed.

TIA......... rci

Pmd

Back