diy solar

diy solar

Victron Questions

shavermcspud

Solar Enthusiast
Hi all

As noob to Victron kit I have a questions regarding connectivity.
Went to motor move the caravan yesterday and found my Leisure battery is end of life after only two years, bitten the bullet and building a 280Ah LFP pack replacement.
As the onboard A/C charger and Solar controller is designed for Lead Acid i have decided to go down the victron route as i already have a smart shunt on my home PV setup and it just works.

So I have just purchased 100/50 MPPT, Smart shunt and 30Amp A/C charger all with bluetooth, Do these all need to be VE cabled to a Cerbo to monitor them as one entity rather than individually via the Victron app? What are my best options here? Planning on adding an inverter at a later stage so would like to get everything in place ready. Most of the victron kit will be close by with the exception of the MPPT controller which will be the other end of the Caravan and running a VE cable will be quite tricky.

Hi all

As noob to Victron kit I have a questions regarding connectivity.
Went to motor move the caravan yesterday and found my Leisure battery is end of life after only two years, bitten the bullet and building a 280Ah LFP pack replacement.
As the onboard A/C charger and Solar controller is designed for Lead Acid i have decided to go down the victron route as i already have a smart shunt on my home PV setup and it just works.

So I have just purchased 100/50 MPPT, Smart shunt and 30Amp A/C charger all with bluetooth, Do these all need to be VE cabled to a Cerbo to monitor them as one entity rather than individually via the Victron app? What are my best options here? Planning on adding an inverter at a later stage so would like to get everything in place ready. Most of the victron kit will be close by with the exception of the MPPT controller which will be the other end of the Caravan and running a VE cable will be quite tricky.
You can just use Victron Connect and BT to connect to those (be aware range is not great for most of those). There's no ve.direct port on an IP22 charger so BT is the only way to connect to that. You can create a ve.smart wireless network so that the ip22 and scc gets voltage from the smartshunt. Once you get a ve.bus inverter then you'll need a ve.bus smart dongle to get that on Bluetooth for limited adjustability, or a Cerbo or other device running Venus OS, but with the ip22 not being able to connect via physical connection a wireless config may be the way to go.

You can just use Victron Connect and BT to connect to those (be aware range is not great for most of those). There's no ve.direct port on an IP22 charger so BT is the only way to connect to that. You can create a ve.smart wireless network so that the ip22 and scc gets voltage from the smartshunt. Once you get a ve.bus inverter then you'll need a ve.bus smart dongle to get that on Bluetooth for limited adjustability, or a Cerbo or other device running Venus OS, but with the ip22 not being able to connect via physical connection a wireless config may be the way to go.

Many thanks for the quick reply.
That's exactly the info I needed. so a VE smart wireless network is the way to go in this instance.

I do not use VE cabling in either of my Victron builds.

One is a fifth wheel which I think is American for a caravan. I have no need for internet every day of the year when I’m away from it, so just monitor and do settings in Bluetooth. Those VE cables are not cheap and the price adds up for each component.

I do have a Victron virtual network so the devices talk to each other via blue tooth. That is not hard to build, it is simply check a box in each of the Victron devices.

If I wanted to monitor or to set my Victron remotely from anywhere in the world, I’d use the VE, but no need.

Last edited:
Many thanks for the quick reply.
That's exactly the info I needed. so a VE smart wireless network is the way to go in this instance.
No ve smart wireless doesnt really do anything for you, it just let's the mppt communicate with the shunt to share voltage and temp.

You really need vedirect cables connected to the cerbogx to get logging and single pane management of everything. They do make Victron mppts that are vecan which uses an ethernet cable instead of the vedirect cables, which makes it a ton easier to run and get custom lengths, but they're the large expensive ones.

I don't believe the charger does anything with the cerbogx so thatll be separate. Once you get an inverter you won't need that charger and inverters use a network cable for vebus port on the cerbo.

No ve smart wireless doesnt really do anything for you, it just let's the mppt communicate with the shunt to share voltage and temp.

You really need vedirect cables connected to the cerbogx to get logging and single pane management of everything. They do make Victron mppts that are vecan which uses an ethernet cable instead of the vedirect cables, which makes it a ton easier to run and get custom lengths, but they're the large expensive ones.

I don't believe the charger does anything with the cerbogx so thatll be separate. Once you get an inverter you won't need that charger and inverters use a network cable for vebus port on the cerbo.
Right but he doesn't have a ve.bus inverter now. He can easily see SOC levels/charger outputs via Victron Connect, just doesn't make sense to go Cerbo/Venus os at this point.

Right but he doesn't have a ve.bus inverter now. He can easily see SOC levels/charger outputs via Victron Connect, just doesn't make sense to go Cerbo/Venus os at this point.
Sure for the charger but the cerbogx will allow him to access the shunt and mppt from anywhere all together, plus get notifications. Log everything and combine into graphs. Mppt gets forecasts plus he can get a screen and see it all.

Once he gets an inverter he gets control and all the settings. Plus Dvcc to limit charge and share charging voltages so the mppt works with the charger.

Cerbogx-s is like $226 and vedirect cables are only 20 or so

Sure for the charger but the cerbogx will allow him to access the shunt and mppt from anywhere all together, plus get notifications. Log everything and combine into graphs. Mppt gets forecasts plus he can get a screen and see it all.

Once he gets an inverter he gets control and all the settings. Plus Dvcc to limit charge and share charging voltages so the mppt works with the charger.

Cerbogx-s is like $226 and vedirect cables are only 20 or so
Yes, the question is if he wants to spend that to get a single plane of glass with VRM, plus all the other goodies, versus high level over view of individual devices in Victron Connect via local BT. Not a lot of difference just visual.
Screenshot_20240608_083905_VRM.jpg

Yes, the question is if he wants to spend that to get a single plane of glass with VRM, plus all the other goodies, versus high level over view of individual devices in Victron Connect via local BT. Not a lot of difference just visual.
View attachment 220607
When troubleshooting or optimizing it makes a huge difference when you can easily export a csv with all the raw data. It allows you to see every sensor in a single line on an excel spreadsheet.

Plus even the app calculates the dc load and logs it for you. So if OP is making 200w solar but shunt is only getting 50w to the batteries it knows he has 150w dc load. All nice and Graphed. Without this I'd think he'd have to pull the mppt usage then pull the shunt usage and manually calculate it to see where the powers going.

BTW your photo seems to have a DC load but it's not showing. Go into the setting, general I think and check dc load. You're pumping 683w and pulling 331w so have about 1000w load. Here's my 12v system and its amazing to see. (inverters having issues).

My 48v system doesn't have a DC load so it's nice because I can see the usage of everything then calculate to get my efficiency losses. 702-670+236 means 268w is being wasted... But just turned on inverter and I'm sure that'll clear soon

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240608_090135_VRM.jpg
    Screenshot_20240608_090135_VRM.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20240608_090417_VRM.jpg
    Screenshot_20240608_090417_VRM.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 8
I disagree with your assessment.

As an example the ip22 (I have a Bluetooth module for it ) the charger will go into storage mode and will control all other (blue) charging sources additionally all (blue) charging sources will respect charging temperature settings. I have a dedicated tablet set up in the trailer. I like the look no wires cabibility.

I disagree with your assessment.

As an example the ip22 (I have a Bluetooth module for it ) the charger will go into storage mode and will control all other (blue) charging sources additionally all (blue) charging sources will respect charging temperature settings. I have a dedicated tablet set up in the trailer. I like the look no wires cabibility.

I mean it doesn't do anything for OP. He can't communicate with multiple devices and see them on the same screen or compare items together. I don't even think it syncs time over bluetooth. This is because bluetooth isn't stable technology so it can't be relied on to control devices or manage anything, all the programming and configs are internally in each device. A dedicated tablet with VRM would be much nicer

Like I said the vesmart just communicated temp/voltage across victron devices. It does not control charging sources like CerboGX does with DVCC and ESS, You just are able to allow the MPPT/charger to use the shunts voltage and temps or whatever. In other words you need to set the temp, voltage, and charge profiles all separately on each device so if any changes you need to update every device separately.

If you had DVCC enabled on CerboGX you set it once and it shares this info on all devices. Also will combine the charge limits so if you have 5 MPPTs and a large inverter but can only charge the batteries 50a it'll limit them if they get to 50a combined.

Even better if you have a battery with a BMS it'll tell the Cerbogx its recommended charge voltage and limit then auto set all devices using DVCC, also use its internal temps for shutoff.

When troubleshooting or optimizing it makes a huge difference when you can easily export a csv with all the raw data. It allows you to see every sensor in a single line on an excel spreadsheet.

Plus even the app calculates the dc load and logs it for you. So if OP is making 200w solar but shunt is only getting 50w to the batteries it knows he has 150w dc load. All nice and Graphed. Without this I'd think he'd have to pull the mppt usage then pull the shunt usage and manually calculate it to see where the powers going.

BTW your photo seems to have a DC load but it's not showing. Go into the setting, general I think and check dc load. You're pumping 683w and pulling 331w so have about 1000w load. Here's my 12v system and its amazing to see. (inverters having issues).

My 48v system doesn't have a DC load so it's nice because I can see the usage of everything then calculate to get my efficiency losses. 702-670+236 means 268w is being wasted... But just turned on inverter and I'm sure that'll clear soon
Yes I have a Delta 2 Max sitting on the DC bus charging at 500Wx2 which can't be seen.
Screenshot_20240608_095243.jpg

Thanks for the tip I enabled DC power source, that now includes idle consumption from the pheonix 48/1200, it's varying a bit as we've got intermittent clouds rolling through

Screenshot_20240608_095915_Gallery.jpg

I mean it doesn't do anything for OP. He can't communicate with multiple devices and see them on the same screen or compare items together.
You can enable summary preview for smart connected devices and see your mppt output, soc and ac charger output all at a glance and updating in realtime via BT with Victron connect (assuming he's in BT range)

Screenshot_20240608_060957.jpg

I mean it doesn't do anything for OP. He can't communicate with multiple devices and see them on the same screen or compare items together. I don't even think it syncs time over bluetooth. This is because bluetooth isn't stable technology so it can't be relied on to control devices or manage anything, all the programming and configs are internally in each device. A dedicated tablet with VRM would be much nicer

Like I said the vesmart just communicated temp/voltage across victron devices. It does not control charging sources like CerboGX does with DVCC and ESS, You just are able to allow the MPPT/charger to use the shunts voltage and temps or whatever. In other words you need to set the temp, voltage, and charge profiles all separately on each device so if any changes you need to update every device separately.

If you had DVCC enabled on CerboGX you set it once and it shares this info on all devices. Also will combine the charge limits so if you have 5 MPPTs and a large inverter but can only charge the batteries 50a it'll limit them if they get to 50a combined.

Even better if you have a battery with a BMS it'll tell the Cerbogx its recommended charge voltage and limit then auto set all devices using DVCC, also use its internal temps for shutoff.
I think it comes down the level of complication needed/wanted in a given application.

Where is the battery in relation to the charge controller? Pretty important to keep them close to each other, keeping voltage drop to a minimum.
Within 4 feet, its not the distance but more the technicality of getting a VE cable to all the devices. This is a UK caravan (not big) not the mighty RV & 5th wheels you guys have unfortunately.

Within 4 feet, its not the distance but more the technicality of getting a VE cable to all the devices. This is a UK caravan (not big) not the mighty RV & 5th wheels you guys have unfortunately.
Yep, some of them are real monsters. You have to be really into having all the luxuries of home to need a literal house on wheels. I'll admit, I had a 19' 5th wheel once. It was quite manageable.

If you like to have gx systeem so you can monitor its all.

Ekrano GX model have it all.
One unit to place .
Its use on boats but really you can use for what you like.
Cost about 600 euro .
Or a chaep solution is the Raspberry Pi + Venus OS.
But that you need to beult your self.

If you like to have gx systeem so you can monitor its all.

Ekrano GX model have it all.
One unit to place .
Its use on boats but really you can use for what you like.
Cost about 600 euro .
Or a chaep solution is the Raspberry Pi + Venus OS.
But that you need to beult your self.
I have done just that, Pi 4, 3.5" touch screen case, all working lovely. All the victron kit is now installed and as per usual just works out the box. Just waiting on some VE usb cables to be delivered today to hook them up to the Pi

I have done just that, Pi 4, 3.5" touch screen case, all working lovely. All the victron kit is now installed and as per usual just works out the box. Just waiting on some VE usb cables to be delivered today to hook them up to the Pi
Can you make a review?
I gone do this my self to using pi5 that is usb-c
Thare is a power board that use usb-dp charging profile so you can even connect extra usb-c pd screen .

What touch screen case did you use?

diy solar

diy solar
Back