diy solar

diy solar

Victron SCC 100/50 Needs Temperature Probe?

HRTKD

Boondocker
Staff member
Victron's brochure says that the 100/50 SmartSolar Charge Controller has an internal temperature sensor. That would work OK if the charge controller is colocated with the battery bank. My charge controller may be located in the same cabinet as the batteries, if I have room. But if I don't have room, it could be 10' away where the temperature could be a few degrees warmer.

The BMV-712 will have a temperature probe coming off the shunt. The shunt will be right next to the battery bank.

Will the BMV-712 communicate the temperature to the Charge Controller? Or do I need the Victron Bluetooth sensing Smart Battery Sense?

Nevermind. I didn't read far enough in the brochure. Just a few lines down it says:
Optional external battery voltage and temperature sensing via Bluetooth
A Smart Battery Sense or a BMV-712 Smart Battery Monitor can be used to communicate battery voltage and temperature to one or more SmartSolar Charge Controllers.

RTFM my friend... :)

" Alternatively, Bluetooth communication can be set up between a BMV-712 battery monitor with battery temperature sensor and the solar charge controller (VE.Direct Bluetooth Smart dongle needed). "

Personally, if these are in the same controlled environment that might only be a few degrees different, I wouldn't worry about it... but then again... A smart sense is only $40, and if you already have the BMV-712, then why not?

I have the smart sense feeding data to my 150/100.

Back