diy solar

diy solar

Victron SCC: 150/35 or 100/50?

MKB

I've been researching a number of SCC options for my home-brew solar generator setup. I narrowed down to Victron vs. Midnite Solar (The Kid), and then ruled out the Midnite unit when I saw the physical specs (too big and heavy for this application). The Kid also is limited to 30A max current.

Other major systems components (currently): 12V 100Ah Battle Born LifePo4, Go Power 1000W commercial inverter (12V on the DC side), and four 100W Renogy mono solar panels.

For the Victron models, I can get the 150/35 and 100/50 for the same price. I know both are more than I need for the components I have so far, but I'd like the ability to just add more panels in the future (within the limit of the SCC). I'm leaning toward the 100/50 because it can support more solar wattage total, 700W compared to 500W for the 150/35. I have the ability to configure the panels in any S/P combination I want, so I don't feel like the 100V input limit would be a big issue. From the specs, the only extra feature the 150/35 has is the ability to handle 36V or 48V DC, but I don't expect I'd ever go above 24V with this system.

Thoughts or suggestions? Anything I'm overlooking?

It depends on your panels, price and your goals. Helpful, eh?

72 cell panels couldn't be reliably 2S on the 100/50 due to their ~95Voc - no margin for cool temperatures.

Both have good over-panel tolerance should you want to expand your array beyond their rating.

As someone who has a 250/100, I'm biased :)

MOAR POWER!

Yes, more power is always nice. :)

This system is for backup power for essential devices in the event of utility power loss. Max load would be fridge or similar appliance. This is to supplement a gas generator, so I don't feel the need to over-size the system (yet). My intention is to keep the battery topped off to be ready when needed and only pull out the panels when I need them. The panels are not mounted anywhere and currently stored in the garage until needed. I'm planning to make a simple support system for them eventually (similar to the Renogy suitcase kit).

Your point about 72 cell panels a good one. The panels I have are 33 cell (Renogy RNG-100D-S), and at only 21.6 Voc I would expect even 4 in series would be ok with the 100/50 model, leaving some good margin for cold weather. FYI, I'm in the mid-Atlantic and it's currently -3 C, which is perhaps a bit lower than typical for mid-winter.

I'm consider getting 2 more of the 100W panels, in which case I'd presumably run them in a 3S2P configuration. Having read a lot of the threads in this forum I am seeing a lot of value in over-paneling.

Someday I've love to have the ability to put together a large whole-house system like yours, but that won't happen in my current house.

Back