diy solar

diy solar

Victron SCC with Midnite Chinook 200?

OffGridVT

Has anyone had any experience with using a Victron MPPT SCC with a wind turbine? I have a mini clipper/diversion controller to put a load on the wind turbine when the charge controller isn‘t charging the batteries, via over-voltage protection. The tech at midnite solar recommends their own charge controller, but its a lot of $$$, whereas the Victron mppt 100/20 is much less money.

The Midnite Chinook comes with its own diversion controller charge controller, but the absorb time on it is 2 hours.. its non-adjustable.

I checked with Victron about this and they said they only support their controllers with solar.

Having said that, I noticed that Chris Harbour used a victron on a micro-hydro system.

Two interesting things about Chris's setups
1) Notice that he has two giant capacitors on the line. This does not surprise me because Victron is known not to tolerate ripple well.
2) Chris had two series about his micro hydro. In the first series he used a different controller. In the second series he rebuilt the system and he used a Midnight classic, but you can see that he is replacing a victron. He never mentions the victron in his dialog in either series.

Thanks for the reply.

Hmm, back to the drawing board, maybe I’ll have to look into a PWM SCC like Morningstar Tristar.

Back