diy solar

diy solar

Victron Shunt Not Showing Voltage

jonoslade

I have a victron smart shunt that is no longer showing correct voltage or wattage but is still calculating correct SOC and Amperage. I am at a loss for how to troubleshoot this issue. Please share any ideas for the cause or ways to troubleshoot. Thanks!

Some background...we recently upgraded our off-grid lithium battery bank to EG4 batteries. The smart shunt worked as expected for over a month with the new batteries then the voltage reading dropped to between 0.06v and 0.08v depending on state of charge. Wattage is no longer being calculated but Current, Consumed Ah, and SOC are all readying correct. I have disconnected the shunt and reset setting but still have the same issue. See attached images of the readings at 69% SOC and 100%. Screenshot 2022-12-20 at 7.18.07 AM.JPEGIMG_2784.JPEG

It looks like either your voltage wires are disconnected or the portion of the smart shunt that reads voltage is fubar. Without voltage it can not calculate wattage.

The shunt resistance and current is the main thing with the shunt. The voltage is just a voltage measurement across the total battery.

The voltage measurement usually has a small amperage fuse in positive line as it also powers the electronics in the smart PCB electronics. It would likely not report anything if power fuse is blown.

The shunt resistance and current is the main thing with the shunt. The voltage is just a voltage measurement across the total battery.

The voltage measurement usually has a small amperage fuse in positive line as it also powers the electronics in the smart PCB electronics. It would likely not report anything if power fuse is blown.
Thanks for the reply, we checked the fuse and it's in working order. I've done extensive research online and can't find anyone else that has a similar issue.

I realize it's too late now, but one of my rules is ...... If something was working, then developed a problem .... never do a software update til the problem is resolved. This just introduces another unknown into a problem situation.

I realize it's too late now, but one of my rules is ...... If something was working, then developed a problem .... never do a software update til the problem is resolved. This just introduces another unknown into a problem situation.

Unfortunately, Victron is pretty heavy handed with firmware updates via VictronConnect (VC). I rarely connect via bluetooth (VC), and almost exclusively use VRM via the web or VC through my GX over the net. Nothing updates automatically.

With Victron, more often not, a firmware update corrects an anomaly.

Unfortunately, Victron is pretty heavy handed with firmware updates via VictronConnect (VC). I rarely connect via bluetooth (VC), and almost exclusively use VRM via the web or VC through my GX over the net. Nothing updates automatically.

With Victron, more often not, a firmware update corrects an anomaly.
I don't have Victron equipment .... but I generally assume if something has worked fine for a while and then suddenly doesn't ... it's not a software problem. I like to limit the variables when troubleshooting a problem .... not introduce more unknowns.

Back