diy solar

diy solar

Victron smart battery sense

rocklayer2

Wondering if anyone has used Victron’s smart battery sense as a solution to controlling low temperature cut off on lithium iron phosphate batteries that don’t have Low temperature cut off? Hoping that you could use this with a victron charge controller paired with a lower cost lithium iron phosphate battery. They are only $39 on Amazon.

Do you have a Victron BMV712 or a Victron Smartshunt? Both of those do exactly what the battery sense does - plus a whole lot more. (Tell you how much power you have in the batteries).

I think it would be much better to go with a $130 Smartshunt than the $40 batteries sense only.

The way it works is it will create a Bluetooth connection to the SmartSolar mppt and pass along the battery voltage and temperature.

I don’t know if the SmartSolar now will stop charging at ____ degrees or not. Two years ago when I installed my system they didn’t- but there have been several software upgrades since then, and I haven’t kept track of the software changes.

Wondering if anyone has used Victron’s smart battery sense as a solution to controlling low temperature cut off on lithium iron phosphate batteries that don’t have Low temperature cut off? Hoping that you could use this with a victron charge controller paired with a lower cost lithium iron phosphate battery. They are only $39 on Amazon.
Yes. When paired with a victron Bluetooth scc, the scc will use the temperature and voltage from the smart sense. You can sent a low temp cutoff. It defaults to 41F if I remember correctly ( provided you select lithium as the battery type).

Hey I just check it out - codfish is correct- it has ithe charge low temp cutoff now. Nice.

Back