diy solar

diy solar

Victron Smart Dongle with 2 Multiplus

D-Wreck

I am the proud owner of an older Wanderlodge Motorhome and I’m trying to come to grips with the Solar / Inverter system.

I have:
(2) Victron Multiplus 12/ 3000/ 120 Inverter chargers, currently in split phase configuration.
Color control GX and BMV 702
Victron MPPT 150 100 TR (linked to 4 Canadian Solar 340 Watt Panels)

Everything is working pretty good, but I would like to connect a ve.bus smart dongle to the inverters.

1) Will I need 2 of the smart dongles (1 for each inverter)? Or can I just connect 1 smart dongle to the slave or master inverter?
2) Can I use Victron Connect through the smart dongle to change split phase to parallel configuration? I believe this is an option with the latest software update, but I’m not 100% on that.

I connected a borrowed windows laptop to the CCGX and used Victron connect and ve.bus quick configure. I was able to switch between split phase and parallel using the ve.bus quick configure, but ran out of time to try this on Victron connect. I don’t have access to a laptop on a regular basis, so I was hoping the dongle would offer a solution.

any help would be appreciated!

Hello and Happy New Year.

I have a setup with Cerbo GX and a single Multiplus inverter. I am looking at adding a second inverter to my system and I am not sure on how to program it to work in parallel with the current one.

Looking online most have done it using an mk3 to usb cable. Problem is that I have no access to a PC and also do not have the can,e at the moment. I program my inverter by uploading a config file to the vrm website.

If you had a similar problem and found a solution, please do share it with me.

i just asked the same question on the victron forums [after looking for answer there], hopefully, an answer will pop up somewhere. my motivation here is efficiency [and saving money], i'm using victron because of its high efficiency so i don't want to waste power if i don't have to. the cerboGX draws 2.8 watts plus more if a screen is attached [around 5 watts]. if i'm using a multiplus-II 3000kV with consumption power of 11 watts i don't want to increase my power drain by another 50% the smart dongle seems to use a little less than 1 watt, however, if we have to use two dongles for a parallel setup then we are up to about 2 watts which is really close to the cerboGX with screen unpluged. but if only one dongle is needed that would be much better than the cerboGX in regards to less energy and less money [and less stuff]

I am the proud owner of an older Wanderlodge Motorhome and I’m trying to come to grips with the Solar / Inverter system.

I have:
(2) Victron Multiplus 12/ 3000/ 120 Inverter chargers, currently in split phase configuration.
Color control GX and BMV 702
Victron MPPT 150 100 TR (linked to 4 Canadian Solar 340 Watt Panels)

Everything is working pretty good, but I would like to connect a ve.bus smart dongle to the inverters.

1) Will I need 2 of the smart dongles (1 for each inverter)? Or can I just connect 1 smart dongle to the slave or master inverter?

VE.Bust smart dongles are mostly worthless. Useful only for monitoring in VC and changing AC input current limit. No other configurable options.

2) Can I use Victron Connect through the smart dongle to change split phase to parallel configuration? I believe this is an option with the latest software update, but I’m not 100% on that.

No.

I connected a borrowed windows laptop to the CCGX and used Victron connect and ve.bus quick configure. I was able to switch between split phase and parallel using the ve.bus quick configure, but ran out of time to try this on Victron connect. I don’t have access to a laptop on a regular basis, so I was hoping the dongle would offer a solution.

VE.Bus quick config and VEconfig are the way to go. You can do this remotely with VRM as well via "remote VE Configure" on the device list screen.

Please describe in more detail how things were connected. I have never successfully connected VC to my inverters.

Again, the dongle is for monitoring only.

3.3. VE.Bus Smart dongle limitations

When connected over bluetooth, using the VE.Bus Smart Dongle, only status data, voltages, and other information can be read. And it can be operated: switch between On, Off and Charger-only mode, and set a Shore current input limit. No changes can be made to the product.

An MK3-USB is required to change settings and perform firmware updates and settings. And, as that requires a USB port, it is not possible to change inverter/charger configuration or perform firmware updates on a Apple iPad or iPhone.

VictronConnect does not work with the MK2-USB.

Hello and Happy New Year.

I have a setup with Cerbo GX and a single Multiplus inverter. I am looking at adding a second inverter to my system and I am not sure on how to program it to work in parallel with the current one.

MK3-USB adapter.

VE.Bus quick configure software.

Looking online most have done it using an mk3 to usb cable. Problem is that I have no access to a PC and also do not have the can,e at the moment. I program my inverter by uploading a config file to the vrm website.

Once you have them configured in parallel, they are essentially one inverter on VRM, and you can then program via VRM/VEConfig in a similar fashion:

The downloaded file opens with VE.Bus System Configurator:

1679514555226.png

VEConfigure Multi will then open VEConfig for that inverter, and you would configure as before.

i just asked the same question on the victron forums [after looking for answer there], hopefully, an answer will pop up somewhere. my motivation here is efficiency [and saving money], i'm using victron because of its high efficiency so i don't want to waste power if i don't have to. the cerboGX draws 2.8 watts plus more if a screen is attached [around 5 watts]. if i'm using a multiplus-II 3000kV with consumption power of 11 watts i don't want to increase my power drain by another 50% the smart dongle seems to use a little less than 1 watt, however, if we have to use two dongles for a parallel setup then we are up to about 2 watts which is really close to the cerboGX with screen unpluged. but if only one dongle is needed that would be much better than the cerboGX in regards to less energy and less money [and less stuff]

Again, VE.Bus smart dongles can't be used for programming in any way.

is it possible to change between split phase and parallel configuration? how much is involved? can you do it with the gerboGX and victronconnet or do you need a MK3-USB connection?

is it possible to change between split phase and parallel configuration?

I can't say with certainty. As above, the VE Bus Configurator is loaded when downloading a config file from VRM. Changes can be made, but I do not know the extent, and I am not willing to experiment remotely.

how much is involved? can you do it with the gerboGX and victronconnet or do you need a MK3-USB connection?

I know of no way to access a VE.Bus inverter with VictronConnect besides MK3-USB. I have a CCGX, and I can only access VE.Direct connected devices - MPPT and BMV-702 - with VictronConnect

1679516823929.png

The OP will prob never come back, but congrats on the old Blue Bird!!!

My grandparents had an ‘84 40’. Some of my best memories were in that motor home when I was growing up. I think they owned it from 1989 until about 1998 and almost made it to all 50 states in it. My family stayed with them in it for my first trip to Disney world, traveling up the eastern seaboard stopping at sights along the way. All over Arizona, seeing the amazing changing landscape. Summers in a small campground in Maine where tents and pop up campers were standard, it was sight to behold when they rolled in playing MIDI music of the national anthem over the PA.

My grandfather is now 91 and my grandmother passed away 2 weeks ago at 90, they loved “the machine” as they called it, he can still recall every issue and system he had to fix.

These were great machines (with their quirks) I hope it treats you well for many more miles.

LOL.. wasn't paying attention to the age of the post... oh well...
i'm glad you responded i was able to learn a lot, however, i do have one more question if you are game: is a gerboGX or CCGX really needed or at least need to be left turned on all the time? i can understand they will help with configuring but are they needed to be on for optimizing efficiency? i assume that the victron SCC can adjust it's charging based on battery temperature using either an Smart Battery Sense or smart shunt. is there any other efficiency optimizing that either a gerboGS or CCGX can offer while they are turned on?

lastly if you were to do everything over again today would you use the gerboGS or CCGX or something else?

i'm glad you responded i was able to learn a lot, however, i do have one more question if you are game: is a gerboGX or CCGX really needed or at least need to be left turned on all the time? i can understand they will help with configuring but are they needed to be on for optimizing efficiency? i assume that the victron SCC can adjust it's charging based on battery temperature using either an Smart Battery Sense or smart shunt. is there any other efficiency optimizing that either a gerboGS or CCGX can offer while they are turned on?

The GX passes shared data between connected devices, i.e., a shunt current/voltage/temperature gets passed to all connected devices. For a charger, this is key for proper charging, particularly if temperature compensation is involved. Turning the GX off will disable this feature.

Yes, a VE.Smart network can accomplish the same thing, but I don't know how they will respond to the GX device being powered off. If a GX is present, the VE.Smart network priorities and functions are disabled. I can't say that the become re-enabled if the GX is shut off.

If BMS comms are involved, turning the GX off will cause the charger to fault as it senses the loss of contact with the BMS, and it will not charge until power cycled.

The GX logs data. If you turn it off, no data is logged. IMHO, logging is a key functionality of the device. Being able to go back six months and see minute-to-minute data is invaluable, especially if one is troubleshooting.

lastly if you were to do everything over again today would you use the gerboGS or CCGX or something else?

I would have gone with a Cerbo vs. the CCGX that I have. A headless Cerbo is cheaper than a GX, and I don't use the display often at all.

IMHO, if you're actually concerned about the power consumption of a GX device, your system is designed with razor thin margins and is a catastrophe waiting to happen. If you're an efficiency fanatic, I would recommend taking a step back and adjusting your perspective.

BMS aside, for me the GX is the most important device in my system. It will be the 2nd to last thing that ever gets turned off with the BMS (which uses more power) being the last.

The OP will prob never come back, but congrats on the old Blue Bird!!!

My grandparents had an ‘84 40’. Some of my best memories were in that motor home when I was growing up. I think they owned it from 1989 until about 1998 and almost made it to all 50 states in it. My family stayed with them in it for my first trip to Disney world, traveling up the eastern seaboard stopping at sights along the way. All over Arizona, seeing the amazing changing landscape. Summers in a small campground in Maine where tents and pop up campers were standard, it was sight to behold when they rolled in playing MIDI music of the national anthem over the PA.

My grandfather is now 91 and my grandmother passed away 2 weeks ago at 90, they loved “the machine” as they called it, he can still recall every issue and system he had to fix.

These were great machines (with their quirks) I hope it treats you well for many more miles.
I made it back! Googling other issues brought me back to my own thread!

Thanks, we are enjoying the bluebird. Victron continues to confound me, but we are making it through.

Trying to connect the CCGX to a wireless router and hopefully using an Amazon fire to connect to the multi plus so I can reprogram them. Wish me luck!

I added the VE bus smart dongle to my Multiplus 12/3000. Initially I was a bit disappointed in the data it passed along. I do use the AC input current limit sometimes- but usually the CCGX is faster to change.

However, once Victron updated the app for the instant readout via Bluetooth - I really love it. I can see the inverter 12v voltage input and easily compare to the Smartshunt on the same page.

I have a lot of voltage drop (because of the wire distance between batteries and inverter - the way the MotorHome was originally wired). On the app I can now see all the voltages on one screen.

Just thought I would pass that along.

FWIW to anyone that stumbles onto this thread, I find that the easiest way to PROGRAM (not continuously monitor) my Victron Multiplus 24/3000 is with a VE Bus (MK3) to USB cable and a laptop (Mac in my case) running Victron Connect (Note that I originally misspoke here and said VE Direct to USB cable, which is different than the needed MK3 cable - another forum frequent flyer quickly corrected that, below). I did this instead of adding a bluetooth dongle.

I have a RPi with wifi running Victron Venus software (free!) to monitor the system, and just use the same cable to plug into the RPi, removing it in the rare situations where I need to make a programming change. I have had very little success trying to program the ultiplus using their online system (VRM) but it's great for monitoring. I also plug my Victron MPPT charge controller into the RPi, but have bluetooth built into it so I use that to program it. The RPi allows me to see the status of the system from anywhere, not just in bluetooth range. I'm finally adding a Victron SmartShunt this weekend, about 9 months after getting the system up and running, and plan to just plug that into the RPi as well.

Anyway, this is an alternative to bluetooth for the Multiplus, for anyone as unclear on all this as I was when I started. I find that programing needs to happen locally via either bluetooth or a cable, but being able to monitor things using a RPi is a great alternative to the very expensive CerboGX equipment. Hope whoever reads this has as much fun, but less frustration, as I've had.

Last edited:
FWIW to anyone that stumbles onto this thread, I find that the easiest way to PROGRAM (not continuously monitor) my Victron Multiplus 24/3000 is with a VE direct to USB cable and a laptop (Mac in my case) running Victron Connect. I did this instead of adding a bluetooth dongle.

How? MP does not have a VE.Direct port.

I have a RPi with wifi running Victron Venus software (free!) to monitor the system, and just use the same cable to plug into the RPi, removing it in the rare situations where I need to make a programming change. I have had very little success trying to program the ultiplus using their online system (VRM) but it's great for monitoring.

I have done it almost exclusively via VRM, and it works flawlessly. Download the VEConfigure file via VRM, modify it in VEConfigure3 (on a PC for me), upload to VRM. Done. If you do not have access to VEConfigure3, then VRM is only for monitoring and limited active control (inverter on/off or setting mode + change input current limit).

I also plug my Victron MPPT charge controller into the RPi, but have bluetooth built into it so I use that to program it. The RPi allows me to see the status of the system from anywhere, not just in bluetooth range. I'm finally adding a Victron SmartShunt this weekend, about 9 months after getting the system up and running, and plan to just plug that into the RPi as well.

Anyway, this is an alternative to bluetooth for the Multiplus,

Not an alternative. There is essentially no programming option on bluetooth.

Use of VictronConnect still means no assistants.

Ways to program a VE.Bus inverter:
  • MK3-USB + VEConfigure3 = no limitations.
  • VRM + VEConfigure3 = a few limitations on initial configuration of inverters in parallel.
  • MK3-USB + VictronConnect = most options except assistants.
  • VE.Bus smart dongle + VictronConnect = monitor + on/off/mode and change AC input current limit

How? MP does not have a VE.Direct port.

I have done it almost exclusively via VRM, and it works flawlessly. Download the VEConfigure file via VRM, modify it in VEConfigure3 (on a PC for me), upload to VRM. Done. If you do not have access to VEConfigure3, then VRM is only for monitoring and limited active control (inverter on/off or setting mode + change input current limit).

Not an alternative. There is essentially no programming option on bluetooth.

Use of VictronConnect still means no assistants.

Ways to program a VE.Bus inverter:
  • MK3-USB + VEConfigure3 = no limitations.
  • VRM + VEConfigure3 = a few limitations on initial configuration of inverters in parallel.
  • MK3-USB + VictronConnect = most options except assistants.
  • VE.Bus smart dongle + VictronConnect = monitor + on/off/mode and change AC input current limit
You are correct - I misspoke and it's a VE Bus (MK3) to USB cable, not a VE Direct to USB cable. I corrected it in the text above. And it works great for what I've needed to do. I have not personally found the VRM online path to be very helpful, but that's my opinion. To each their own. I suspect I am far less of an enthusiast compared to you.

Last edited:
You are correct - I misspoke and it's a VE Bus (MK3) to USB cable, not a VE Direct to USB cable. I corrected it in the text above. And it works great for what I've needed to do. I have not personally found the VRM online path to be very helpful, but that's my opinion. To each their own. I suspect I am far less of an enthusiast compared to you.

Enthusiast is accurate, but the actual process is absolutely no more difficult than plugging in a cable, and arguably easier.

From anywhere with a PC and VEconfig, I can program my inverters, install assistants and even upgrade firmware. One simply downloads the file, edits it with VEConfig and then uploads the file. Both methods use VEConfig.

If you're slave to VC, then that's the likely issue. VC is unable to fully configure VE.Bus inverters at this time due to its inability to load assistants and a handful of other limitations, though it is sufficient for most single inverter, off-grid installations.

Back