diy solar

diy solar

Victron smart shunt data storing?

Draconius

I'm looking to add a shunt that I can know the actual capacity of my batteries. My BMS (jbd) always resets to 120ah if I don't connect to bluetooth 100% for >24hrs. I know the JBD isn't reliable, so everytime I get in my van, the SOC is a crapshoot. I don't use the batterybut about 130hrs/mon so it does sit for a few weeks without charging/discharge.

I want to know if the shunt stores the data and logging into the shunt will keep the SOC as long as I don't disconnect the negative terminal (physically or through BMS). I'd rather not have a screen in the van to install...but if that's my only option, then I'll bust down to Will's cheaper shunt suggestion

Take a look at this thread first:

I just installed a Victron Smartshunt and the beta test data logging feature referred to in that thread is not including with the latest firmware.

I was a bit disappointed it doesn't maintain a data log outside of some basic historical stats. It's sadly lacking in this department considering it's not a cheap bit of kit.

It doesn't affect me much as I have my shunt connected to Solar Assistant running on a Raspberry Pi and it logs all the data from the shunt (there is one data channel it needs to fix and I have let SA people know about that).

Doesn't help the OP much though as my system is operational 24x7 and is more suitable for that sort of use case.

Victron also has the Cerbo Gx thing that could be added for logging, or the other one with the screen included...

I just installed a Victron Smartshunt and the beta test data logging feature referred to in that thread is not including with the latest firmware.

I was a bit disappointed it doesn't maintain a data log outside of some basic historical stats. It's sadly lacking in this department considering it's not a cheap bit of kit.

It doesn't affect me much as I have my shunt connected to Solar Assistant running on a Raspberry Pi and it logs all the data from the shunt (there is one data channel it needs to fix and I have let SA people know about that).

Doesn't help the OP much though as my system is operational 24x7 and is more suitable for that sort of use case.

You probably installed the latest GA release firmware. I wonder if the beta firmware has the logging feature enabled on it...

Last edited:

Based on the comments above, it sounds like a dedicated screen is the best method... :/

The renogy for 2x the price likely gets you nothing more than a brand name... but also can be at my door in 3hrs. Hmmm

Last edited:
Based on the comments above, it sounds like a dedicated screen is the best method... :/

This is the one I had been thinking of to go with the Cerbo Gx:

They sell the kits that come with both pieces (or you can just use the smartphone app without the screen probably)...

Last edited:
This is the one I had been thinking of to go with the Cerbo Gx:

They sell the kits that come with both pieces (or you can just use the smartphone app without the screen probably)...

Yeah, that's overkill... will just get the AiLi or Renogy. Renogy advantage is "name brand" and 500a and can get to me before my trip tomorrow. :p

You probably installed the latest GA release firmware. I wonder if the beta firmware has the logging feature enabled on it...
When I loaded the app and connected the shunt it suggested updating to latest firmware, which I did.

But there is no option within the app to check or update the shunt's firmware, let alone use a beta option. I can only presume they send a push notification if there is a firmware update.

When I loaded the app and connected the shunt it suggested updating to latest firmware, which I did.

But there is no option within the app to check or update the shunt's firmware, let alone use a beta option. I can only presume they send a push notification if there is a firmware update.

Yeah, my guess would be that the beta version would be done using some manual method where you have to download the package installer, and maybe use a comm cable or some special procedure or app to install it onto the hardware, not normally provided by their GA software update repository workflow...

More research uncovers this site:

I'm wondering if you just install the Victron Connect beta version on your smart phone, and it would then give you access to the beta firmwares to be installed onto your hardware devices.

Yeah, that's what it's looking like. I see this note on that page:

"Mandatory vs optional firmware updates: Please note that all the updates included in beta releases are always mandatory upon connection. The information in the changelog that indicates whether the update is mandatory or optional refers to the upcoming official release, not while installed as a beta."

So one would have to go on their own risk, and accept any bugs or regressions along with the beta. Hopefully it is easy to downgrade again in case there was a show-stopper bug introduced on a beta release.

I use the Victron BMV-712 Smart Shunt Battery Monitor with a Raspberry Pi. I can view the BMV-712 data real-time or look at the history. Victron provides this service free. It was relatively simple to accomplish watching the video.

Andy (Off Grid Garage) did a good video on how to use a Raspberry Pi and the Victron Venus OS to view real-time and store your Victron Smart Shunt data in the Victron cloud. I followed his video and now use it and it works well. I did this a while ago and at the time needed to use the model of raspberry pi 3 b plus. I don't know if the that is still a requirement. I picked one up on Ebay.
Thanks Andy!

Last edited:
No such app exists in the IOS app store.

I'm not that concerned since Solar Assistant is storing the data for me.

Yeah, I guess it looks like the beta excludes the phone app, can only run the .dmg installer on Mac OS...

1655180686559.png

Yeah, I don't really care enough about logging on my temporary RV 12v install anyways...

I do have an RPi here with Solar Assistant loaded on it do use same like you are running, for when I get my house built and the LV6548s are online...

Does the OP just want to accurately monitor SOC or is the OP actually needing data logging?

Sounds like he’d want to just properly determine SOC.

Of which that Ali monitor is the cheapest option, sure doesn’t have all the bells and whistles but does it’s job, determine SOC and provide a display.

Does the OP just want to accurately monitor SOC or is the OP actually needing data logging?

Sounds like he’d want to just properly determine SOC.

Of which that Ali monitor is the cheapest option, sure doesn’t have all the bells and whistles but does it’s job, determine SOC and provide a display.
Correct. Data logging was so that while disconnected I don't lose SOC like I do with the JBD BMS. Ideally I didn't want a screen, but appears to be only option vs having to build a rPi. Space is very minimal. Westy is what it's all built in

But that Ali monitor always tracks SOC 24/7 so you won’t “lose” SOC when you walk away out of Bluetooth.

Is also love data logging but between smart shin and raspberry pi it’d be around $500 investment to log data. That’s steep for just logging info.

I found that the Victron BMV-712 Smart Shunt Battery Monitor would only log data and stay active for 2 hours even with an iPad connected to it constantly. I also read here on this forum somewhere that 2 hours monitoring was the limit when connected with Bluetooth for monitoring and data log.

That is the reason I went with the Raspberry Pi. Now there is data logging and real-time data from the BMV-712 anywhere with an iPhone. Data can also be looked at with iPads and a web browser using a PC.

There is the cost of the Raspberry Pi and a few parts and a some time to setup, but if real time data and data logging is needed it works for my needs and from what I could find was the lowest cost option.

Back