diy solar

diy solar

Victron SmartShunt bluetooth distance

AzRVSolar

I plan to install a Victron SmartShunt in a new RV to monitor the BB Lithium batteries since the batteries themselves do not have any built-in BT functionality. I had used the Victron 712 Smart in my previous RV and was happy with it, but would be pleased to save the $75 with the SmartShunt since I don't need a display unit as long as I have the smartphone display. But I do not know what the range of the SmartShunt BT signal is and so I am not sure that it will reach all the way from the battery box to the driver's seat.

The 712 Smart had an extraordinarily long range (perhaps 30 feet, perhaps more) but I have seen comments that the range of the SmartShunt is considerably less. Can anyone give me some information about how far I should expect the range to be?

30 feet from my house to inside my camper is hit and miss... from inside inside the camper works fine

Inside camper works fine, from my pickup cap to front storage of travel trailer very spotty.

Thank you all for the information.

I assume I need the signal to travel about 7 or 8 feet, so 15' is more than enough. I guess I will try the SmartShunt and if it does not produce a strong enough signal I will buy the dongle. At least it gives me enough encouragement to try the SmartShunt and not buy another 712 Smart.

I plan to install a Victron SmartShunt in a new RV to monitor the BB Lithium batteries since the batteries themselves do not have any built-in BT functionality. I had used the Victron 712 Smart in my previous RV and was happy with it, but would be pleased to save the $75 with the SmartShunt since I don't need a display unit as long as I have the smartphone display. But I do not know what the range of the SmartShunt BT signal is and so I am not sure that it will reach all the way from the battery box to the driver's seat.

The 712 Smart had an extraordinarily long range (perhaps 30 feet, perhaps more) but I have seen comments that the range of the SmartShunt is considerably less. Can anyone give me some information about how far I should expect the range to be?
Mine is inside a metal box, so I need to be next to it.

Back