diy solar

diy solar

Victron Smartshunt or Smart Battery Sense... Or both?

tonyg

Hi,

I thought adding a Victron SmartShunt to my setup would provide accurate information regarding the battery, while having a smart battery sense would make sure that the voltage and temperature are ok and communicated to the SmartSolar MPPTs which would disconnect charging if something is off the lines.

Would either be redundant in this case, or am I actually right to add them both to the system?

Thank you!

If you get the temp sensor for the smartshunt, there is no need for the smart battery sense as the SS can fill that role.

The sense can't be used on a wider GX network as a shared current, temperature and voltage source for all devices. Practically speaking, the sense can only be paired with the MPPT.

The smartshunt or BMV-7XX units can be connected to a GX device for system-wide voltage, current and temperature sensing including the MPPT.

I have both a BMV-702 w/temp sensor and a smart battery sense. I like the sense being stuck on the side of the battery vs attached to the terminal for temp sensing, and I like the idea of having a backup temp sensor. It's also only $40. With Victron, worrying about that extra $30 is kinda like being worried about picking up the last nickel when you've dropped $20 of coins...

Here's a comparison chart of Victron temp sensors:

Back