diy solar

diy solar

Victron smartsolar 250/100 shows volts but will not charge!!

Agreed I can’t imagine it’s the battery, it’s some stupid setting.

What about the jog dial on the bottom for battery charging type, what number is it set to?

Try adjusting the charging current to a lower value?

Agreed I can’t imagine it’s the battery, it’s some stupid setting.

What about the jog dial on the bottom for battery charging type, what number is it set to?

Try adjusting the charging current to a lower value?
Dial is on 2 and 6 I am unfamiliar with that function. I will try to change the current if I have enough sunlight

3.9. User I/O
3.9.1. Remote on/off connector
The remote on/off has two terminals: Remote L and Remote H.
A remote on/off switch or relay contact can be connected between L and H. Alternatively, terminal H can be switched by a connection to battery positive, or terminal L can be switched by a connection to battery minus.
Special case for Victron lithium batteries in combination with the smallBMS. When Lithium is selected in the software.

what do you guys think about trying this, this is a different Victron charge controller with a much better manual I found.

Try jumping L to battery ground? Or measure it to battery ground. You measured it at 4v against H.

You may actually have a bad unit, tech support from Victron might be able to help.

Try jumping L to battery ground? Or measure it to battery ground. You measured it at 4v against H.

You may actually have a bad unit, tech support from Victron might be able to help.
Jumping l to battery ground. There customer support number isn’t even English and I posted on the Victron form but nothing yet.

Who’d you buy the SCC from? Maybe reach out to Alt E store, they are a pretty big Victron dealer and has good knowledge depth.

I’ve seen some YouTube videos and I think there is something faulty with that remote jumper/connections. I think it’s acting like it’s open, not properly jumppered. It might be a cold solder join internal to the unit.

I’ve seen some YouTube videos and I think there is something faulty with that remote jumper/connections. I think it’s acting like it’s open, not properly jumppered. It might be a cold solder join internal to the unit.
Definitely sounds feasible, that would make more sense then selling a unit that you have to bypass the rx connection somehow and not telling you how to very well lol.

I have the same SCC, running at 24 volts, and it is wired as yours shows in your pics. As long as your cabling is good, I don’t think it’s a connection issue. I don’t know why it’s giving the BMS warning, as your BMS isn’t connected to the SCC.

I can’t see exactly what your battery settings are, but what I can see looks ok. I did note a voltage reading of 13.29. The SCC won’t think charging is needed at that voltage, I am guessing.

I have the same SCC, running at 24 volts, and it is wired as yours shows in your pics. As long as your cabling is good, I don’t think it’s a connection issue. I don’t know why it’s giving the BMS warning, as your BMS isn’t connected to the SCC.

I can’t see exactly what your battery settings are, but what I can see looks ok. I did note a voltage reading of 13.29. The SCC won’t think charging is
Volts dropped into mid 12s when pulling 100a and I pulled that for a few mins with no charging started, I’m out of ideas and I think 740GLE is right and it’s just a bad unit, which is unfortunate but what do you do.

Volts dropped into mid 12s when pulling 100a and I pulled that for a few mins with no charging started, I’m out of ideas and I think 740GLE is right and it’s just a bad unit, which is unfortunate but what do you do.
That’s always a possibility. If you can get a replacement, obviously you can test.

I had my initial programming done by the vendor (BattleBorn) so I didn’t have to work from defaults. Minor adjustments are very easy, and it’s been running fault-free for over a year. It’s a beast of a SCC.

If there are any settings you’d like to look at, let me know. They are 24v settings, but you can convert them easily.

What is your SCC lowest rated voltage? Could be under volt so it’s not charge.

It’s showing his batteries at 12.8v so charging should be automatic.

With that remove jumper installed, can you do a voltage check across those terminals? You measured a voltage with the jumper pulled, ow test to verify the jumper has those terminals shorted.

Maybe someone else can test the voltage of the terminals with the jumper pulled and see if you have the same readings.

What is your SCC lowest rated voltage? Could be under volt so it’s not charge.
I can hook up 2 more panels in series for a voc of 240 but I technically will be 700w over paneled for the 12v battery, one of these days my other batteries will show up.

Back