diy solar

diy solar

Victron Smartsolar Charger Remote On/Off

sailcan88

Has anyone connected to the Rx pin on the Smartsolar charger? I have a Victron 100/50 Smartsolar that I would like to control with an ignition 12v sensing lead. According to the VictronConnect bluetooth app there should be an option for the Rx settings to turn the VE.direct pin on/off but it does not show up in the App. Victron sells the non inverting VE.Direct cable that maybe controls the pin but why does the Rx option not show up in the app? The Rx pin should turn on the charger when it senses a 12V signal and turn off when it goes to 0.

In the VE connect bluetooth app,

1) touch the gear button in the upper right corner.
2) Select Rx Port function
3) select the inverting or non inverting function you want.

BTW: I am planning on using this function (my SmartSollar MPPT is on order). I purchased the VE.Direct Non-inverting cable to use but I was wondering if you know the electrical spec for the pin (Is the cable even needed?)

The serial cable is isolated to make it difficult to blow the chips in the Victron up by connecting things that potentially have a high voltage difference between their ground / - and to break ground loops etc . I'd guess the same applies here. I wouldn't personally apply more than 5v to any pin on the Victron's connector so maybe a resistor divider and a clamping zener diode would be appropriate if you don't want to purchase Victron's cable.

That said I have the serial port on many Victron smart controllers connected to microcontrollers and linux SBCs with nothing more than resistor dividers and a a transistor, but that's more about protecting the SBC's 3.3v GPIO pins from the Victron's > 3.3v output, without any ill effects on either so far. The micro / SBC share a common ground with the Victron so it's safe to do in this case.

In my Victron Connect App the Rx Port function does not show up -- only the Tx Port function. Should it show up for all Smartsolar controllers? Does something have to be connected to the VE.direct port for it to show up?

In my Victron Connect App the Rx Port function does not show up -- only the Tx Port function. Should it show up for all Smartsolar controllers? Does something have to be connected to the VE.direct port for it to show up?

To get to the config of the RX pin you start by clicking on the gear icon in the upper right corner.

On my Smartsolar 75/10 I see this:
1591331242629.png
When I tap on Rx port function I see this:
1591331307399.png
and the load output pull-down gives me this:
1591331365337.png

I clicked on the remote on-off to get it to work. (and it worked well).

The VE Connect app lets you simulate any of the controllers using a 'demo' mode. I looked at several of both the smart-solar and blue-soler demos and they all had these settings. I am not sure why you are not seeing it.

My settings screen does not show the Rx Port Function. I will try the Demo mode tomorrow. I have attached the VE.Direct Protocol and info for the non inverting cable. In the documentation for the Rx pin in the non inverting cable documentation it says that the Maximum voltage is 70V. I am trying to send a 12V signal from a relay that is controlled by a BMS to turn off the Solar Controller

Attachments

• VE.Direct non inverting cable.pdf
    352.9 KB · Views: 18
  • VE.Direct-Protocol-3.28.pdf
    363.2 KB · Views: 6
You're making it harder than it actually is. The remote is hardware not software. On the bottom right is a small connection with a jumper between the two. This is from the manual
The left terminal is connected to the internal 3,3V supply, with a resistor in
series for short circuit protection.
The right terminal (marked as +) will switch the controller on if >3V is
applied, and will switch the controller off if <2V is applied or if the terminal
is left free floating.
The recommended use of the remote on-off is:
a. A switch wired between the left and right terminal
b. A switch wired between battery plus and the right terminal.
c) A switch between the right terminal and the charge disconnect terminal of a VE.Bus
BMS

The simplest way is "a". Just remove the jumper and connect wires to the two terminals from your relay. You don't need to supply 12V. If you want to supply 12 volts from your relay use "b".

Unfortunately my model does not have that remote switch. Only the VE.direct port. I tried the DEMO mode and it does show the Rx port function but when in actual usage mode it does not show up.

Unfortunately my model does not have that remote switch. Only the VE.direct port. I tried the DEMO mode and it does show the Rx port function but when in actual usage mode it does not show up.
That is strange.... which model do you have?

Try deleting the app and re-installing it.

Also, it should not make a difference, but are you on Android or IOS. I am on android (Google Pixle 3)

Hi everybody, to sailcan88, have you find the solution? I would like to make the same remote control on my BlueSolar 75/15, please let me know your update.

You're making it harder than it actually is. The remote is hardware not software. On the bottom right is a small connection with a jumper between the two. This is from the manual

The simplest way is "a". Just remove the jumper and connect wires to the two terminals from your relay. You don't need to supply 12V. If you want to supply 12 volts from your relay use "b".

Hi somewhereinusa, can you please be more specific about wich pin to connect? In the ve.direct connector are 4 pins :
N.1 gnd
N.2 Rx in
N.3 Tx out
N.4 +5v
In the manual is Rx pin who drive the remote on/off charge control when >6v is applyed....and no + sign marked on any pin...thanks for your time.

I can't speak spifically about your model. I have a 150\85. I don't remember how it's marked, it comes from the factory with a jumper between two of the terminals, if yours has that remove the jumper and install a switch between them.

I can't speak spifically about your model. I have a 150\85. I don't remember how it's marked, it comes from the factory with a jumper between two of the terminals, if yours has that remove the jumper and install a switch between them.
Thanks for your answer, but is that the problem, to know exactly wich pins to connect before do something wrong, mine come with the jumper but that is only driving the output tollerance switch on/off...or battery life set ...not the remote charge control on/off....thanks if you have more info about.

ios. I have tried a couple of different ios devices and still no change.
Hi sailcan88, did you find the solution? I would like to do the same charger remote control on/off on my BlueSolar 75/15 by external relay but i am not sure wich pin connect on the ve.connect port...thanks for your time.

That is strange.... which model do you have?
I"m working on making my own ve.direct cables with this schematic. Looks like I just need to turn on the rx pin to monitor the BMS enable / disable. 1594017092260.png

Back