diy solar

diy solar

Victron System with EG4 rack Mount

I don't have communication between the Jakiper and the Victron. Doesn't seem to need it. I also wouldn't know what "close loop" or "open loop" communication meant.

I have the Victron 120v 48/3000/35-50 in a converted 30amp RV. It's working fine, but a few points to consider.

- It is hard to find 48v rated MEGA fuses in smaller enough sizes for the Lynx distributor. Victron makes "58v rated for 48v nominal systems" but not in small enough sizes for the MPPT (i.e., I don't think they make 40 amp or 30 amp MEGA fuses in the 58v for 48v systems). Conversely 24v uses exactly the same fuses as the 12v system. I ended up using Midnite DIN rail mounted circuit breakers for these smaller circuits, which gives convenient shut-offs as well, but takes up space and I worry that vibration might trip them (maybe happened once on a 5000m trip this summer, not entirely sure). You might be able to make this work with Midi fuses and a different distribution box. I would be happy to be wrong about this (new components come out all the time :)

- Some components are rated at 48v, but it's unclear whether they can be used in a 48v nominal system, which sees actual voltage up to 58 or even 60v. e.g., BlueSeas battery shut offs.

- The "PowerAssist" stuff (which uses battery power and the inverter to add power to a flakey shore-power connection, can output 50amps (that's the last 50 in the model name), so you have to turn that off and can't use it unless you rewire your RV from the inverter to the AC distribution box (probably need 6AWG and a 50 amp main breaker, rather than the 10AWG and 30amp main breaker that is there).

- Alternator charging is difficult, because there are few 12v --> 48v Dc to DC chargers (they exist, but Victron doesn't make one).

For me I had to have 48v since I have a direct 48v DC airconditioner (Hotspot), but if I didn't need to use 48v directly I would do this again in 24v.

why is it so hard to find small mega fuses? This seems like lynx isn’t a good idea? I was going to buy lynx if I go with components (even if not Victron). I like the form factor, but if you can’t get the proper fuses, it sounds like someone should be terminated.

Will this void warranty on the Lifepower4 bats?
I didn't read their warranty policy, but I'm struggling to think on any reason why talking to the battery would be a valid reason to deny warranty. The module only read battery status, it doesn't change anything on the BMS.

Back