diy solar

diy solar

Victron VenusOS driver for serial connected BMS - JBD / Daly / ANT / JKBMS / Heltec / Renogy / Tian / ECS

Which LCD are you using? I know that on earlier models (maybe still today) the display was RS-485 based, and needed the converter module from TTL (UART) on the BMS to RS-485. I don't know this is in fact still the case...

Nice work @BradCagle
You might want to have a look at the work some other guys are doing to do the same with bluetooth for the JKBMS. It is also pretty far along.
It would be good if we can all use the same bluetooth libraries. That would make it merging back to the main serial battery project much easier.
Hey guys, I created a new thread for the Bluetooth driver here: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/victron-venusos-driver-for-bluetooth-bms.54124/
Trying to avoid hijacking this thread.

Thanks

You guys rock.

Fired up a Venos OS RPi just for giggles. Had absolutely nothing to connect to it... turns out I did... a little 25Ah JBD BMS 4S battery.

Took several attempts, and the Venus rebooted several time on its own, but it finally appears to be mostly stable.

Thank you gentlemen!

1694161214218.png

Hello. @Louisvdw I tried doing a serial install but my BMS is not showing up under Device list in Cerbo GX FW 3.10. This is my first attempt and I'm pretty green with SSH. Can't seem to get this working.. here is what I did.

I have superuser/root access. Using putty and logging into the Cerbo, I put my user and password. At the command prompt I copy the command, "wget -O /tmp/install.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/L...tery/master/etc/dbus-serialbattery/install.sh"

bash /tmp/install.sh" as per instructions?

1697806293602.png

I pasted it into Putty, and hit <enter>. It seems to run fine, after bash/tmp/install.sh appears in command prompt again I hit <enter>. I select "1" and hit <enter> for latest release and that seems to install fine. Last thing I then type "reboot" and hit <enter>. I get the message, "The system is going down for a reboot NOW!".

After the GX boots back up there is no BMS under Device list..?

For Troubleshooting I logged in with username and password to the Cerbo, I ran the command, "tail -F -n 100 /data/log/serial-starter/current | grep dbus-serialbattery | tai64nlocal" and hit <enter> but get no response? I tried switching USB ports on the Cerbo with the tail command running as well but no responses. I'm thinking I should have at least gotten a response that the BMS was found or not found. Did the driver actually get installed?

I'm using a JBD BMS plugged into the UART for bluetooth module as I don't yet have a module for RS485. The other end is plugged into the center USB port on my GX, NOT the USB power port. I've tried the first port closest to side of GX as well. When hooked up to PC instead JBD Tools reads BMS info with serial cable consistently without any trouble.

After running down the list of troubleshooting commands and rebooting putty I finally got some to respond. Looks like there may be a problem with driver. I think this could possibly explain the lack of response:

1697850723549.png

I have created a VenusOS driver that can talk to BMS/Batteries that has serial communications (instead of the normal CANbus). RS485/RS232/TTL/UART and Venus 2.80+ have been tested.

Currently it works with
  • JBD BMS (LLT Power / Overkill Solar)
  • Daly BMS (Daly Smart BMS / Daly Sinowealth based BMS)
  • ANT BMS
  • MNB spi BMS - disabled by default as it requires extra libraries installed to work. Contact @Mike Dorsett for information
  • JKBMS / Heltec
  • Renogy
  • Tian Power BMS (Revov battery / LifePower)
  • ECS (GreenMeter)
The driver will act as Battery Monitor inside VenusOS which will also publish the battery to your VRM.
The following values are included:
  • State Of Charge
  • Voltage
  • Current
  • Power
  • Can handle batteries with from 3 - 32 cells
  • battery temperature
  • min/max cell voltages
  • raise alarms from the BMS
  • available capacity
  • history of charge cycles

The current release is on GitHub if you want to check it out.
does this work for felicity 15kwh battery??????????

I'm about to build a new battery 4P16S, 280Ah which will be connected to 3x Victron Multiplus II 5kVA inverters in 3-phase. My potential, continuous load from the inverters will be ~350A and finding a BMS capable of handling this load will be very difficult.

I realise that what I'm about to say is very controversial and not recommended but I just want to know if there would be any issue in using the BMS purely as a cell monitor and connecting the inverters' loads directly to the battery (bypassing the BMS charge/discharge load connections) and having the Victron MPs stop/start charging based on alerts? ie. stop charging at a cell high voltage alarm, stop discharging at a cell low voltage alarm etc.?

I'm about to build a new battery 4P16S, 280Ah which will be connected to 3x Victron Multiplus II 5kVA inverters in 3-phase. My potential, continuous load from the inverters will be ~350A and finding a BMS capable of handling this load will be very difficult.

I realise that what I'm about to say is very controversial and not recommended but I just want to know if there would be any issue in using the BMS purely as a cell monitor and connecting the inverters' loads directly to the battery (bypassing the BMS charge/discharge load connections) and having the Victron MPs stop/start charging based on alerts? ie. stop charging at a cell high voltage alarm, stop discharging at a cell low voltage alarm etc.?
The Victron batteries are just like that.

BMS's are relatively cheap, why not just make 4 x 16s batteries with 4 BMS's if you want to use serial driver?

I want to connect my cells in parallel within the pack.
I literally just received 16 more eve280 and x4 bms so I can split my current 2p8s into x2 8s packs and have x4 8s packs in paralell with every cell monitored.

There is no advantage to running non garanteed cells in paralell.
Or garanteed ones, for that matter.

The 4 bms cost me $400. Daly smart paralell bms 250a

Are the battery loads not connected to a BMS inside the plastic housing?

Because I want to connect my cells in parallel within the pack.
Victron use external BMS (except on the new smart batteries I think), no current going trough the BMS

Back