diy solar

diy solar

Victron VenusOS driver for serial connected BMS - JBD / Daly / ANT / JKBMS / Heltec / Renogy / Tian / ECS

I've got these cables in from amazon and they are way too big. I need to be able to plug into the GPS port on the JKBMS. The JST 2.0 cables are almost twice the size of the port on the BMS

EDIT: It's JST 1.25, 4 PIN

Of course ... I have mixed it up with the Victron VE.Direct (for MPPT, Smart Shunt, ....)
Sorry, my mistake.

You are right. The BMS needs JST 1,25mm 4 PIN.

Here is one shop:

Thanks to Luisdw! Question: is it possible to write driver for non victron AC inverter on USB-serial modbus as VE.Direct or not at all? Thanks and regards. Petr

Yes I know and thanks again, but do you you think is it teoretically possible to write serial driver for AC invertor? (there are Phoenix on VE.direct).
I have not seen any non Victron serial AC invertors drivers on Venus OS. Sorry for off topic...
May be you undestand now.
Petr

The driver is actually for the GX devices that run VenusOS. You only need a GX device connected to the battery for it to work. If you have a Multiplus or a Phoenix or no inverter does not matter to the driver. If what you want works with the Victron GX devices then it will work fine. Anything else will not.

@Louisvdw thanks for all your work on this -- is the dual battery (multiple bms) on the roadmap yet? How much funding would be required to get that pushed across the finish line?

Cheers

The output on the RS485 port on the BMS is TTL (RS232) - I know, confusing. You should be able to talk to it using a regular TTL/USB converter. The pin-out is in the description of my Gitrhub repo here: https://github.com/PurpleAlien/jk-bms_grafana

Once you have that hooked up, you can use the driver mentioned in this topic to have VenusOS interact with it.
Is there any easy place to steal 5v or 3.3v on jk bms? I’m considering 48v to 5v buck converter and using the vbatt pinon the jk serial port. Span02C-05 at jameco.

Running an esp32 module for wifi streaming of data to a Mqtt server.
I'm just using a small buck converter mounted under the ESP32. It's the solder points between the socket strips. The 4pin cable plugs into the JBD BMS serial port

Attachments

• PXL_20211014_111031628.jpg
    PXL_20211014_111031628.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 29
  • PXL_20211014_124332181.jpg
    PXL_20211014_124332181.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 29
The BMS that people have the least querries/issues are the JBD or JKBMS (JKBMS is also a good option but it seems that the SOC calc for the JBD is a little bit smarter/better. The JKBMS app is easier and less complex).
The Daly gets by far the most issues logged and it's communication protocol is also a bit limiting.
Hi!
I'm about to join this journey, just undecided on BMS: either Seplos with native can comms or a JK due to active balancing.
Reliability and price are the top factors.

After this time, do you maintain your preference with JDB and JK?

I'll go with the RPi and Venus OS (working in IT / *nix envs); which would be your preferred platform? (RPi and Venus versions?)

It will be a Victron setup, Multiplus II 24/5000 and SmartSolar mppt on the way...

Thanks for all your insights!
Regards!!

After this time, do you maintain your preference with JDB and JK?
Yes. For the price JBD and JKBMS are both great options. I've just added the ECS GreenMeter which is of great quality and more accurate measurements but it will cost a lot more.

It might be worth mentioning that if you don't already own a RPi and need to buy one for this, then you might be better to look at the Victron CerboGX. In the end the Pi will not be that much cheaper (except if you can get a Pi Zero2 model perhaps). The reason I say this is that a Ve.Direct cable cost a fraction of a Ve.Direct->USB. You also don't need a USB-MK3 device for the Multiplus and you don't need any other PI HATs (RS485), Hubs or a power supply from your DC battery directly. So make sure you add all that up in your cost. You can also tinker the same as you would on a Pi, except if you need the Pi GPIO for something spesific.

So my choice would be a CerboGX if I start from nothing.
Then I would look at the Pi Zero 2. At the price, you get a Pi3+ with a little less memory, but you need to add a USB Hub.
Then Pi3/Pi4 (what you can get your hands on as stock still seem to be a problem)
If you plan on running NodeRed with a lot of nodes on VenusOS as well, then the faster Pi4 with more RAM will be better, else it will not matter much.

Enjoy the journey

Yes. For the price JBD and JKBMS are both great options. I've just added the ECS GreenMeter which is of great quality and more accurate measurements but it will cost a lot more.

It might be worth mentioning that if you don't already own a RPi and need to buy one for this, then you might be better to look at the Victron CerboGX. In the end the Pi will not be that much cheaper (except if you can get a Pi Zero2 model perhaps). The reason I say this is that a Ve.Direct cable cost a fraction of a Ve.Direct->USB. You also don't need a USB-MK3 device for the Multiplus and you don't need any other PI HATs (RS485), Hubs or a power supply from your DC battery directly. So make sure you add all that up in your cost. You can also tinker the same as you would on a Pi, except if you need the Pi GPIO for something spesific.

So my choice would be a CerboGX if I start from nothing.
Then I would look at the Pi Zero 2. At the price, you get a Pi3+ with a little less memory, but you need to add a USB Hub.
Then Pi3/Pi4 (what you can get your hands on as stock still seem to be a problem)
If you plan on running NodeRed with a lot of nodes on VenusOS as well, then the faster Pi4 with more RAM will be better, else it will not matter much.

Enjoy the journey
Thanks for your prompt and lengthy reply!
You provided a lot of added value!!

I'm holding tight while the SBMS0 driver development progresses... Thinking about the viability of the solution that connects the SBMS0 to the Raspberry Pi electrically. Unlike other BMS's used with VenusOS, an SBMS0 may have several connections to the whole system, including a main shunt, a solar shunt, voltage sense, and charger/inverter disconnect. How important do you all think isolation is for the custom cable that would be needed here? I use real Victron cables for my existing VE.Direct connections to the Pi. The SBMS0 is connected to Aux1 and Aux2 on my MultiPlus and those are already isolated.

Edit: Maybe I could use a chopped Victron cable to make the custom SBMS0 serial connector?

Last edited:
V0.13 has been released.
New support for ECS GreenMeter and Tian power BMS (LifePower/Revov)
Fixes for Renogy and Daly and remount support for VenusOS v2.91

How important do you all think isolation is
Isolation is a safety feature so that high voltages could not get to low voltage areas and cause damage.
It could cause you to have to replace damaged components, or perhaps a fire. You need to look at how likely that would happen and if the replacement cost compare to the cost of the isolation cable. Safety is always a good thing.

OK all you experts. Care to help out a N00b? lol

I am seriously thinking about building 2x battery packs each will be 4s EVE 280ah from Jenny for 2x 12v 280ah batteries, Thinking about using her empty 4s plastic cases as well.

This is for a new RV install using all Victron with MultiPlus II 12v. And either Victron Cerbos/GX or going VenusOS (I do some smart home stuff on Rpi4s).

Questions.
1 - What are some of the better/easier to use/program and reliable yet cost effective BMS's that this supports and full featured with all of VenusOS and Victron.

I am sure there will be a lot of opinions, but that is fine. How about options that will fit in the case with the 4x cells?
Do any support heater pads to put between the cells?

2 - While I have you attention... lol
Is the VenusOS mature and stable and full featured enough to run instead of dumping all the $ on the Cerbos/GX and screen?

Thank you all so much!
Learning a lot!
Geo

Back