diy solar

diy solar

Victron VenusOS driver for serial connected BMS - JBD / Daly / ANT / JKBMS / Heltec / Renogy / Tian / ECS

That one plugs into the Bluetooth/Uart port though doesn't it? I want to be able to use both the blue tooth and RS485 port if possible, been tempted just to order that one anyways since it's known to work.

Yep, it does. I am not sure if you could make both work.

For what it is worth the BT dongle is four wires and the USB thingy is 3 wires.

I'm confused on all the talk for different adapters/converters to make this work.
If your JBD BMS has the RS485 port, then you use that to connect using that USB-RS485 adapter.
Don't worry about the PC connection. It is easier to set up with the bluetooth app.
After the setup, then connect that RS485 adapters you have for the JBD to the GX and it should all just work. You don't need to install anything else on the GX.

In all this the bluetooth adapter stay in it's TTL UART socket. Only if you don't have the RS485 port option, then you need to replace the bluetooth adapter to connect to the GX.

I have a bit of a strange observation which is partly my fault.
I kept my victron switched off (via the portal/Venus) during the last two month (no solar in the northern hemisphere) but the BMS (JDB) connected. I checked the SOC every couple of days and switched the Victron on in case there was some over production.
The SOC was constantly shown at 57-58%
Then a couple of days ago I got an undervoltage alert. I checked the system briefly [~11:00) and it was still at 57% SOC. I charged a bit and went back yesterday only to see that the SOC was at 0%. The lowest cell was at 2,3V ( not good, but at least not bricked). - see screen shot

If I had paid more attention to the voltage than the SOC I would have spotted the problem sooner - but why was the SOC so off? Was it the JDB not recalculating the SOC, the VenusOS or the Dbus Serialbattery plugin?
1672819209430.png

Obviously the BMS switched the battery discharge off...but the BMS was still switched on and kept on discharging the battery...

Was it the JDB not recalculating the SOC, the VenusOS or the Dbus Serialbattery plugin
The SOC comes from the BMS. The driver reads this value and then publish it to the VenusOS dbus.

On the BMS settings (in the app) you will see cell voltage ranges spesified. This is used to adjust the SOC value for any drift that might happen, but normally the SOC is a calculation of the power flowing in and out of the battery against the capacity you have set for your battery. The BMS cannot measure very small current flows, which is the reason drift does happen. It's best to keep the charger(your inverter in this case) online so that it can do some charging to the system when the battery asks for it.

If in future if you want to disable your ESS for winter, my suggestion is to switch your GX to keep batteries charged, but the Optimised (with BatteryLife) would manage your batteries the best even in low solar times.

So, what is the best way to ensure the BMSs don't change anything within VenusOS when plugged into the Cerbo? My MPPTs say externally controlled now.

I just want to use the Cerbo integration to monitor and datalog my BMSs.

Somebody mentioned turning off DVCC?

I just want to use the Cerbo integration to monitor and datalog my BMSs.
If you don't want to use the battery as the monitor, then you have to change the Battery Monitor setting to something else like the Multiplus. What is selected in there will give the system the SOC value.

However what you are seeing is what the BMS is trying to tell you. That there is an issue and because of that the charge state had to be adjusted. It's better to fix the cell with the issue than to tell your system to ignore it and use another SOC value. The reason you ask the BMS what the SOC value is, is that it know about the values of each cell. Your inverter will not know that and will only have the total battery voltage to work from and an energy counter.

If you don't want to use the battery as the monitor, then you have to change the Battery Monitor setting to something else like the Multiplus. What is selected in there will give the system the SOC value.

However what you are seeing is what the BMS is trying to tell you. That there is an issue and because of that the charge state had to be adjusted. It's better to fix the cell with the issue than to tell your system to ignore it and use another SOC value. The reason you ask the BMS what the SOC value is, is that it know about the values of each cell. Your inverter will not know that and will only have the total battery voltage to work from and an energy counter.

Thank you for the reply.

I have a BMV712 in the system and want to use that shunt to monitor system SOC.

Apparently, if Venus sees a BMS in the system it hands control to that BMS. Which I don't want.

Yes if there is a BMS it gets the first piority, but you can then switch that with the Battery Monitor option
1672940079211.png

If your JBD BMS has the RS485 port, then you use that to connect using that USB-RS485 adapter.
Don't worry about the PC connection. It is easier to set up with the bluetooth app.
After the setup, then connect that RS485 adapters you have for the JBD to the GX and it should all just work. You don't need to install anything else on the GX.

In all this the bluetooth adapter stay in it's TTL UART socket. Only if you don't have the RS485 port option, then you need to replace the bluetooth adapter to connect to the GX.
Got everything working, thanks for your help and providing a such a great option for this. I was a little lost when the RS485 adapters wouldn't work on the confuzr, everything works great with them with the CerboGX. Guess I will pick up a UART box if it can be used to calibrate the shunts in the BMS's if needed later. Kind of weird JBD couldn't provide a driver for their RS485 adapters, maybe their description is just off for them and was never meant to be used for programming.

I've got 2x 12v/400ah EG4 Lifepower batteries. I installed them today, connected them to my Cerbo via the supplied cable from Signature Solar (485 to USB). Ran through the SSH install procedures but couldn't get anything working. I ran through the troubleshooting steps, but nothing seemed to help. It's like my Cerbo didn't even realize the program was installed. No errors stood out as I ran through the troubleshooting doc. I tried a different USB port on the Cerbo just to make sure, still nothing. Tried installing a 2nd time, nothing. Anyone have any thoughts? Something I'm missing? This type of work certainly isn't something I'm super familiar with so dumb it down for me... :) . Thanks!!

Hi, what setting should I set it to 1 or 2 if I use Louisvdw/dbus-serialbatter settings

Attachments

• victron.png
    victron.png
    33.9 KB · Views: 47
Is there any way to get the time-to-go (TTG) to show up in the battery card on VRM?

All the values are published to VRM. You can then create your own custom widgets in the advance tab and should be able to add it in there.

Hi,
Daly BMS 250 amps 4s to Cerbo GX 2.92 connect in Uart, I am getting a - amps when charging and positive when discharging ? Connect with the same wiring to my BMS with laptop using PCmaster, no issue I see positive when charging!

I am getting a - amps when charging and positive when discharging
Daly have some BMS where the protocol values are swopped.
Look for the following line in the utils.py and change it to -1 to swop your value

# Invert Battery Current. Default non-inverted. Set to -1 to invert
INVERT_CURRENT_MEASUREMENT = -1

All the values are published to VRM. You can then create your own custom widgets in the advance tab and should be able to add it in there.
Gotcha -- I wasn't sure if there was maybe a value that would show it on the VRM Dashboard like here (not my system, a screenshot I found online but it seems as though this is an existing feature/value of VRM)

19878-1621369368059.png

Hi, what does this mean, do I have to set something here?.

Attachments

• bms 9.png
    bms 9.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 15
Back