diy solar

diy solar

Victron VenusOS driver for serial connected BMS - JBD / Daly / ANT / JKBMS / Heltec / Renogy / Tian / ECS

Yes if there is a BMS it gets the first piority, but you can then switch that with the Battery Monitor option
View attachment 128060
I have 6 JKBMS.... can I talk to them via bluetooth with the Cerbo device? Or must I use USB converters? And can I talk to all 6 of them? Will they show up like inthe list above?

@Louisvdw

I forked your great project, and made BluetoothBattery version. Right now it only supports JBD via Bluetooth

I'll have the repo setup on github soon. It's not ready for primetime yet, and right now it requires build tools to be installed in Venus OS so bluepy can be installed.

EDIT: github repo is up https://github.com/bradcagle/dbus-btbattery

Last edited:
@Louisvdw

I forked your great project, and made BluetoothBattery version. Right now it only supports JBD via Bluetooth

I'll have the repo setup on github soon. It's not ready for primetime yet, and right now it requires build tools to be installed in Venus OS so bluepy can be installed.
Oh please JK BMS next!!! How can I help? I have 6 of them. The idea of polling all 6 would be GREAT.

Oh please JK BMS next!!! How can I help? I have 6 of them. The idea of polling all 6 would be GREAT.

I need to get the code up on GitHub, with instructions. Then I can start looking at other BMS support.

If I can just replace the serial read/write code with the Bluetooth code might be simple, and I can just modify Louis' existing code.

@Louisvdw

EDIT: github repo is up https://github.com/bradcagle/dbus-btbattery

Very nice Brad,

I just followed your instructions of your github page.
It works out of the box. Now I can remove the rs485 cable.
One bummer is that only one bluetooth connection can exist to the bms. No way to do something using my smartphone bms app.
Perhaps a connect / disconnect option. Perhaps integration in Kwinrem's software (https://github.com/kwindrem) ?

Very nice Brad,

I just followed your instructions on your github page.
One bummer is that only one bluetooth connection can exist to the bms. No way to do something using my smartphone bms app.
Perhaps a connect / disconnect option. Perhaps integration in Kwinrem's software (https://github.com/kwindrem) ?

Oh,

After a reboot I have to ssh into Viccy to start it up again. Maybe something to start it automatically?

Oh,

After a reboot I have to ssh into Viccy to start it up again. Maybe something to start it automatically?

Sorry, It's still very early work-in-progress. I'll make some instructions soon to have it start automatically.

Very nice Brad,

I just followed your instructions of your github page.

Right, It conflicts with the App BT connection. I'll need to come up with a solution.

BTW on my app, I think it still connects through WiFi. I see two devices, one grayed out (which would be the Bluetooth), and another that I can connect to which I assume if through my WiFi connection. Does yours have this?

EDIT: I just realized you are talking about the BMS app connecting to the battery (I thought you were talking about Victron connect app). Yes, that is true. You would need to shut off the Venus device. then you could connect to your BMS via the app.

Nice work @BradCagle
You might want to have a look at the work some other guys are doing to do the same with bluetooth for the JKBMS. It is also pretty far along.
It would be good if we can all use the same bluetooth libraries. That would make it merging back to the main serial battery project much easier.

It would be fantastic if all the brain power here could build up a system for communicating between all of our hardware.
If we had a module for reading from each type of BMS, a module for reading from either USB, serial, UART, RS485, CAN or Bluetooth, a module for communicating with each type of inverter, and a module for communicating the data out to the various monitoring systems, then we could grab each module as required and make it into a fully functioning system that's is not hardware dependent. Am I making any sense? LOL.
Personally I am no coder whatsoever but I can look through it and get some idea of what it's doing, my expertise is hardware.

Last edited:
Nice work @BradCagle
You might want to have a look at the work some other guys are doing to do the same with bluetooth for the JKBMS. It is also pretty far along.
It would be good if we can all use the same bluetooth libraries. That would make it merging back to the main serial battery project much easier.

Thanks. I just took a look, seems they are using bleak python package for BLE support, I'm not familiar with it, but I'll play around with it.

It would be fantastic if all the brain power here could build up a system for communicating between all of our hardware.
If we had a module for reading from each type of BMS, a module for reading from either USB, serial, UART, RS485 or Bluetooth, a module for communicating with each type of inverter, and a module for communicating the data out to the various monitoring systems, then we could grab each module as required and make it into a fully functioning system that's is not hardware dependent. Am I making any sense? LOL.
Personally I am no coder whatsoever but I can look through it and get some idea of what it's doing, my expertise is hardware.

That's usually the natural progression of these things. So you probably will have this :)

I hope so and I would be the ideal candidate to test this stuff out on because I have plenty of different hardware, a slight idea of programming and a real good grip on hardware.
My hardware -
JBD BMS
JK BMS
Felicity battery BMS
Junktec shunt
Solark 12k
LV6548
Growatt 6000T
Windowz 10
HA bare metal
Solar assistant Pi4
Shed loads of esp32, esp8266 and level/protocol converters.

Last edited:
@Louisvdw

Any chance of adding functionality to connect to the EVTV BMS? I'm sure @dougbert would also be interested.

It has canbus but apparently it's neutered.

What's the best way to ensure that the Victron system won't rely on my Overkill BMSs for control? I thought turning off DVCC was the way. But today for some reason my 100/50 and 100/20 were going from bulk to float... skipping absorb. I was well below the voltage that would trigger absorb. Stayed in float for a few minutes then back to bulk. Been working fine for a few months. Not sure what changed.

Disconnecting my BMSs from the Cerbo made the weird behavior stop.

Back