diy solar

diy solar

Victron VenusOS driver for serial connected BMS - JBD / Daly / ANT / JKBMS / Heltec / Renogy / Tian / ECS

Change the Battery Monitor to something else than the driver.
DVCC is to read the CCL DCL parameters from the battery but it works along with the Battery Monitor setting.

Yep, I had it set to my BMV....I can't explain the strange behavior of it going from bulk to float and then back to bulk. Or why it worked fine for a few months then acted weird.

The bulk/float/abs states is not something that the driver sets or use. Those are things that are used for lead acid batteries. LA batteries does not have a BMS so the chargers started implementing these charge states to better handle the LA charging. With Litium this all moved to the BMS and we monitor individual cell voltages.

When you set up you Multiplus you still set these states. The voltages that you set in there is what is showing. There might be some settings that the driver sets that influence those states on the multi, but it should not really impact your lithium battery.

The bulk/float/abs states is not something that the driver sets or use. Those are things that are used for lead acid batteries. LA batteries does not have a BMS so the chargers started implementing these charge states to better handle the LA charging. With Litium this all moved to the BMS and we monitor individual cell voltages.

When you set up you Multiplus you still set these states. The voltages that you set in there is what is showing. There might be some settings that the driver sets that influence those states on the multi, but it should not really impact your lithium battery.
I have absorb and float set on my two mppt controllers (no Victron inverter/charger) I do understand that my lithium batteries are living in a LA legacy world with absorb and float. For some reason something caused the absorb and float settings in my MPPTs to get ignored

Something with these drivers caused the strange behavior because when I removed the BMSs from Cerbo it stopped happening.

I wish I could figure it out because I really liked datalogging the BMS data with Cerbo.

Hi Louis did you get any further with this? Is it something I could look into?
I was a bit busy with work. Did not have time to look much into the driver the past 4 weeks.
If you want to look at it look for the issue then you need to look at 2 values for each bms type that both need to be populated to be able to calculate the consumed amp hours.
battery.capacity
battery.get_capacity_remain

So I have a JBD BMS and it has 3 temperature sensors, the first is internal bms temp and the other two are contact sensors for the battery. The BMS always runs several degrees warmer than the rest of my system and that is the sensor that displays in venus os. Under Device->serialbattery->details i see a min and max battery temp, is there a way to get the system to use the other two temperature sensors for the battery control without turning off the 1st BMS temp sensor in the xiaoxaing software?

Hello,
I have three JK, after each restart they are detected differently (ttyUSB1,2,3).
I have three FR232s with unique names ENV{ID_SERIAL}=="FTDI_FT232R_USB_UART_BAT1" (BAT1 , BAT2, BAT3) . Create ( SYMLINK+="BAT1") . What should I change to make your program recognize batteries by 'SYMLINK'.
Alternatively, that each time ttyUSBx was connected to a specific cable.

Hi guys,
Someone have tried to connect the Renogy DCC30S to Venus OS? It is their solar-dcdc dual input mppt controller with the same rs485 connection as their Rover series mppt charge controllers.
Have tried the connection with an universal rs485 usb dongle (2 wires a-b) and hoped it will work straight away like my Daly BMS, but had no luck...
Im no linux genius, and doesn't know how to check if the Venus os can read out the dongle or it is invompatible.
Can someone please point me the right direction?

I was a bit busy with work. Did not have time to look much into the driver the past 4 weeks.
If you want to look at it look for the issue then you need to look at 2 values for each bms type that both need to be populated to be able to calculate the consumed amp hours.
battery.capacity
battery.get_capacity_remain
Thanks Louis

Hi guys,
Someone have tried to connect the Renogy DCC30S to Venus OS? It is their solar-dcdc dual input mppt controller with the same rs485 connection as their Rover series mppt charge controllers.
Have tried the connection with an universal rs485 usb dongle (2 wires a-b) and hoped it will work straight away like my Daly BMS, but had no luck...
Im no linux genius, and doesn't know how to check if the Venus os can read out the dongle or it is invompatible.
Can someone please point me the right direction?
This driver is for batteries. You need one for solar mppt. I believe there may be one for Epever which would be a better place to start.

Just want to post that I was able to connect my JK BMS with bluetooth connection to the RPI VenusOS in my camper. It works like a charm and nice to have now everything integrated into venus OS. Thanks for making these efforts and the software available for everyone working on this.
I'm using the bluetooth connection both for the JK BMS and Ruuvi temperature monitors. It all works together.
I used this package: https://github.com/Louisvdw/dbus-serialbattery/discussions/485 2023-04-18 17_23_04-MAN camper - VRM Portal and 9 more pages - Personal - Microsoft Edge.png2023-04-18 17_24_22-Remote Console on LAN and 9 more pages - Personal - Microsoft Edge.png

Just want to post that I was able to connect my JK BMS with bluetooth connection to the RPI VenusOS in my camper. It works like a charm and nice to have now everything integrated into venus OS. Thanks for making these efforts and the software available for everyone working on this.
I'm using the bluetooth connection both for the JK BMS and Ruuvi temperature monitors. It all works together.
I used this package: https://github.com/Louisvdw/dbus-serialbattery/discussions/485 View attachment 145404View attachment 145405
Does consumption show in the VRM graphs/statistics?

Yes it does, See here a screenshot from the VRM portal on internet with graph and stats from the BMS. This is also available in the VRM app on the ipad.IMG_0020.jpeg

Go to the VRM portal and you can try the free Demo and see several installations and look at the data that is available. As far as I can all signal have also a trend, graphs, bar graphs and so on.
When i had this driver working before i wouldnt get the consumption bar graphs.
That was some time ago. Also it wasnt JK BMS. Some batteries have it and some don’t apparently.

Is yours like this?

Attachments

• DF3A5B9D-FB75-4153-BE33-262D1B8C2FBD.jpeg
    DF3A5B9D-FB75-4153-BE33-262D1B8C2FBD.jpeg
    184.2 KB · Views: 5
No I don’t have the consumption measured like you have. Only the bar graph for Solar power generated in kWh is displayed.
Thats just a google image. Yes you have the same result as me. I’ll be looking at that in due course

Hi All .. The LCD interface marked 'LCD' on JK B1A20S15P does appear to be cable wired on both A and B differential input to the LCD display. Would someone be able to provide the definitive method to obtain an operational LCD display?
On JK BMS connector end I see 5 lines -
Red : K+
Black : K-
Yellow : Gnd
Orange : A
- : B (no connection)
Green : Vcc

The On/Off works and display is lit but no data received.

Back