diy solar

diy solar

Victron VenusOS driver for serial connected BMS - JBD / Daly / ANT / JKBMS / Heltec / Renogy / Tian / ECS

Hi
It seems that the driver can either not read the cell count, or that the min max cell voltage setting has an issue.

Can you paste the values you have set for min and max cell voltages.

Also how did you make the edit? Did you change the file perhaps in Windows and copy the file it over to the GX? Windows use other line endings in files and this can sometimes cause and issue if you did a newline(Enter) in Windows editor. Try installing the driver again and then using the nano editor inside the GX system to make the same edits to see if that helps.
Wow, the maestro himself! Thanks alot!
Actually I connected to the Pi with Linux Mint via Putty and then used the nano editor (took me quite some reading and learning the shortcuts).
Screenshot attached.
I spent weekends installing the driver, even complete Venus in different Versions over and over without any success. Tried every USB-port of the Pi etc. I'm afraid the 100th installation won't change anything.
Screenshot from 2022-07-17 13-24-44.png

For the voltages I used a "Point" as decimal seperator. Perhaps it has to be a "comma"?
Ok another idea: I will discharge "The Wall" to 3.4V/cell (within the LiFePo range) and reinstall the driver with original utils.py settings. Keeping my fingers crossed...

Last edited:
The point as decimal should be fine. That is the python standard for writing a decimal value and comma has another meaning in the language.

If your voltages is higher that what the utils.py give the battery will just stop charging, but it should not have any negative impact. That will be a good test to see if the original work. If that does work then you just need to find a way to edit the value to what you need without it breaking. If you are using Mint, then you can also run the command dos2unix to fix any line endings of the utils.py file, but that command is not available on Venus OS.

I admit he comma guess was stupid. Not because I have any Python knowledge, but the Amps are "pointed" also...
Next step is to discharge the battery to 3.4V/Cell and reinstall the driver with an unaltered utils.py.
Thanks for your patience, I'll report next weekend hopefully (with good news). The understanding of my employer towards my hobbies is somehow limited :)

This little Pi drives me crazy. Discharged the Powerwall to 3.0V/cell. Clean install of Venus 2.89. Installed the driver as shown in your new video. (great effort, thanks). But nothing, even the logfiles are looking worse. Seems it shall not be for me...
Screenshot from 2022-07-24 19-17-29.png

Hi @Louisvdw,
1. I currently use a JKBMS and I cannot get the BMS to display on my device list.

2. I installed the driver on my Cerbo GX but enabling the driver shows the following:1658762047881.png

3. Checking if the connection is picked up by serial-starter shows the below repetitively:
1658762218579.png

Please help

But nothing, even the logfiles are looking worse
@Hubba your battery driver is being started on ttyUSB1 and you are reading the log file under ttyUSB0. That is why it cannot find the log file. Just ready the matching path and see what it says.

Please help
The driver is installed and is being started. Just check the log file for ttyUSB1 to see what is happening (see troubleshooting section on the wiki how to do that)

Last edited:
No step further so far. "object has no attribute 'min_battery_voltage' " still persisting. Is there anything else I can log to provide additional information to you?
- cellvoltages are within LiFePo range
- unaltered utils.py
- DVCC on

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2022-08-01 17-44-56.png
    Screenshot from 2022-08-01 17-44-56.png
    19.8 KB · Views: 4
Hello, thanks for your help.Now i have installed an new JK BMS 485 Converter and Venus find now my JKBMS.
Now i have seen in BMS Parameter in Venus System the DCL is set to 15 Amps. i have set in Utils.py 60 A Charge and discharge and in DVCC 60 A discharge. Inverter discharge Power is set to 2000W. Discharging by ESS is now only 15 Amps(~800Watt).

Edit: now i find out it is over 30% SOC DCL is Set to 60Amps. and if 5% SOC then the DCL is 5 Amps. How can i setDCL is always 60A?

Last edited:
Heya,
Maybe someone can give me a hand here. I have the JDB with RS485. It comes with two wires A and B.
Now I had a look in my electronics drawer and came up with a USB2TT_004 converter von homsun-ic.com
From what I can read it has a CH340 chip but comes with 5 Pins R,T,GND, 3,3V, 5V - Any idea if this can work and to which pins A and B need to be connected?

object has no attribute 'min_battery_voltage'
Looks like it might nog be reading your cell data and cell count. Or it is the min cell voltage and max cell voltage that it cannot read. I'll add some more log messages in the next beta that should help trouble shooting.

How can i setDCL is always 60A?
You charge and discharge current is changing dynamicly depending on your SOC. If the battery is full charge current is reduced. If the batter is close to empty discharge current is limited. You can disable CCCM by setting CCCM_ENABLE = False in utils.py
CCCM documentation

Any idea if this can work and to which pins A and B need to be connected?
RS485 works with a 2 wire bus which is marked A / B or H / L. If your converter is marked R / T that would be receive / transmit and it would be for RS232 or TTL. It will not work. The CH340 with 3.3V and 5V options is normally TTY.

will watch on git
This version will publish the config settings when connecting to the battery.

INFO:SerialBattery:Testing LltJbd
INFO:SerialBattery:Connection established to LltJbd
INFO:SerialBattery:DeviceInstance = 1
INFO:SerialBattery:com.victronenergy.battery.ttyUSB1
INFO:SerialBattery:Battery connected to dbus from /dev/ttyUSB1
INFO:SerialBattery:=== Settings ===
INFO:SerialBattery:> Connection voltage 49.29V | current 0.0A | SOC 50%
INFO:SerialBattery:> Cell count 15 | cells populated 15
INFO:SerialBattery:> CCL Charge 50.0A | DCL Discharge 60.0A
INFO:SerialBattery:> MIN_CELL_VOLTAGE 2.9V | MAX_CELL_VOLTAGE 3.45V

Thx for your effort. New screenshot v.0.12b2. Due to my very limited knowledge i can't read anything leading me to any enlightenment...
1659640488371.png

I wonder what is so special about my system? Why me??? ?
Just a PI, BMS and VenusOS...

Back