diy solar

diy solar

Victron VenusOS driver for serial connected BMS - JBD / Daly / ANT / JKBMS / Heltec / Renogy / Tian / ECS

There is a new beta build v0.5beta* for the initial Daly BMS integration for those that want to test it and give feedback.
This build should work for both the RS485 and UART connection, updates the battery SOC, voltage and current in the GX device.

Download the venus-data.tar.gz from the latest beta and FTP it to your GX/pi.
Extract using tar -zxf venus-data.tar.gz -C /data
Reboot and let me know if it works.
I've had feedback from a few users using the 8cell models that it works.
This is awesome news. I have a 4s unit and a 4s4p headway test pack to build. This way I can do a lot of testing.

Already got a pi and touchscreen display working.

I first need to capacity test my second hand cells, then I will top balance them and commence testing the code. My device is a raspberry pi 3b with a 7" LCD touch screen. Other devices include a smart shunt and a 150/35 victron charge controller.

I have a 4s unit and a 4s4p
I have had some feadback early on when testing Daly commands that the small 4s models don't use the same commands as the rest of the Daly range, so it would be great to hear if your 4s units do work.

I have had some feadback early on when testing Daly commands that the small 4s models don't use the same commands as the rest of the Daly range, so it would be great to hear if your 4s units do work.
I have two of them, a smart 4s 100A, and a smart 4S 250A. I'll be using the smaller one on the headway pack, and have a large CALB cell pack to connect the 250A one to. I can move the pi to either pack.

Edit: There will be a weeks delay with the headway pack as it has a few bus bars short of a 40Ah battery. I ordered copper bar 2mm to fix this issue. :)

Last edited:
I have a new v0.5 release. This is the first official release that has added support the Daly BMS.
You can find the latest release at the GitHub page

preferred BMS for 48V
I would suggest a JBD/LLT BMS. The Daly BMS has more issues and limitations.
All the JDB/LLT have mostly the same features, so you just pick one that fits your requirements best (cells and current). The newer 200A model seems very nice and flexable as it can run as a 24V, 48V and higher battery.
15 or 16 cells are the norm for 48V, but the 48V Victron products can go as high as 68V.

support for JK BMS?
No not at this moment.
It does have RS232 and RS485 serial connection options, so it should be possible.
I you can find the communications protocol for the BMS, then create a ticket in GitHub for this BMS and upload that doc. If there is intrest for other users we can add it.

What abiut ant24 BMS. I have 300A version uart can be used instead of display? Any plan for support? Thx

ant24 BMS
The ANT BMS is on the list, but there were not many people that have shown intrest in it. You should go upvote it. The protocol is actually very close to the JBD BMS, but the issue is to get a UART connection. There seems to be a RS485 port on the display module, but the chip for it is not populated.

I am still waiting on the stupid bus bars for the headway pack, but I chose a box that will fit both my Calb pack and the headway, so if the bus bars don't arrive before the box, I'll put the calbs in there and let you know how I get on with a 4S 250A Daly unit. Software is all installed now, got my touch screen working, and the raspberry is talking to wifi and VRM.

Having installed the driver, I assume changing the limits is as simple as editing /data/etc/dbus-serialbattery/utils.conf - I set mine to 125A Charge, and 250A discharge, in line with what my bms can support. Although I can only charge at 35A with my solar charge controller, my inverter when maxed can draw 100A.

So I simply set the values to reflect what my BMS can handle.

Last edited:
The ANT BMS is on the list, but there were not many people that have shown intrest in it. You should go upvote it. The protocol is actually very close to the JBD BMS, but the issue is to get a UART connection. There seems to be a RS485 port on the display module, but the chip for it is not populated.
They are offering order with uart or can directly. I have few of them used in my bike and quad. But only with display and I like to use it also in solar I am building with victron but not ordered yet and they are offering with USB module now.

Is the code for the 3S and 4S bms's implemented yet? no rush, but I might be jumping the gun as I have my battery set up and connected to the raspberry pi, but nothing shows up (tried both the monitor and the UART port).

The 3S/4S Daly BMS seems to use a different chip and so different comms. That is next to be implemented, but it is not done yet

Yep that explains it - I'm barking up the wrong tree. Will wait till 3/4S code is implemented then fiddle. For now I can rely on my smart shunt for SOC details, and Smart BMS phone app for cell data :)

Louisvdw, thank you for your excellent work and support on this fine driver!
Just a couple of questions. Any suggestions appreciated!

I Installed SerialBattery on RPi4, 7" touchscreen, JBD/Overkill 4s 120A BMS, VE.Direct USB cable. Is 4S JBD/Overkill is supported?
Error Logging on USB0 shows "INFO:__main__:Testing LltJbd", "ERROR:utils:>>> ERROR: No reply - returning".
Oddly the USB1 log shows a very different error: "/opt/victronenergy/dbus-serialbattery/start-serialbattery.sh: line 4: import: command not found"

Sorry, as a beginner on Raspberry Pi, not sure what is causing this. I used the 'curl... install' method.

I did have to jumper the 4 pin 2.54 mm JST connector to the smaller 2 mm VE.Direct cable, perhaps this is my weak point.
The BMS works fine with Bluetooth and the app. I disconnect the Bluetooth dongle to connect to the header.

Is 4S JBD/Overkill is supported?
Yes JBD all use the same protocol to talk, so your BMS should work fine.
I think the cable might be the issue. Though that other error is a strange one.

First see if you can make sure the cables are a good fit. Jumpers can be the cause of loose connectors which would be an issue.
Also go through the trouble shoot options and tell us what you see https://github.com/Louisvdw/dbus-serialbattery/wiki/Troubleshoot

Yes JBD all use the same protocol to talk, so your BMS should work fine.
I think the cable might be the issue. Though that other error is a strange one.

First see if you can make sure the cables are a good fit. Jumpers can be the cause of loose connectors which would be an issue.
Also go through the trouble shoot options and tell us what you see https://github.com/Louisvdw/dbus-serialbattery/wiki/Troubleshoot
SerialBattery driver working great after Troubleshoot logging confirmed no battery connection being made over ttyUSB0.
My error was connecting VE.Direct cable to the JBD/Overkill JST header. Plugging in the JBD-UART-Tools dongle allowed battery connection.
Thank you Louisvdw for the awesome driver and speedy support! Look forward to much use of this excellent battery monitoring tool!

Back