diy solar

diy solar

Victron vs KISAE MPPT/DC/DC

gkis

I intended to get a KISAE DMT1250 for my truck camper, for a 12v Linshen280Ah battery, never will use more than 400w solar. I just saw that Victron orion tr smart 12/12/30, and an MPPT 75/15 smart, package is slightly less $ than kisae.
Those who have experience with above makers, would you please advise what I should chose?
Thank you

Which panels?

The Victron 75/15 handles up to 75V PV input, the Kisae is much lower: 32V

Also, the Victron is fully adjustable. Another benefit: If 1 fails, with 2 seperate units you still have a charging option.

As for heat: I don't have the Victron DC-DC myself. But in all cases, any electrics require sufficient airflow for cooling. Mounting them in a small cabinet without any airflow is a bad idea for any brand.

How much do you think you need the DC-DC anyway? Mine is (manually) switched off, since the solar panels are usually sufficient to keep the batteries. The DC-DC is more of a backup than a regular charging.
In case of doubt you might just mount an 8cm fan to provide forced cooling when driving. (In those cases the added noise of the fan doesn't really matter anyway)

The Orion 'hotness' is a minor issue compared with the significant other advantages. Good installation practice and if you are concerned about heat an added small computer fan. If the Orion overheats it lowers output to keep the insides at a safe temperature.
The Victron 75/15 handles up to 75V PV input, the Kisae is much lower: 32V
For the Kisae, instructions suggest a 50v limit on the solar input
Victron orion tr smart 12/12/30, and an MPPT 75/15 smart, package is slightly less $ than kisae.

With 400 watts of solar you need the Victron 100/30, so the Kisae is the more cost effective.

I have lots of experience with Victron products and would normally recommend these units ( smart versions) for ease of programming and the fact the solar controller displays via the app, actual and past status ( records 30 days history). This is a great help in managing the battery use.

With a DIY battery its often necessary to lower the charge voltages from the common 14.4 to 14.6 to contain 'runaway cells' and charge the battery in a less stressful way. Its been proven that with lower charge currents compared to cell capacity, almost full charge is achieved with 13.8 to 14 volts.
Having the ability to user set charge voltages is thus an advantage.

As suggested programming is easy with Victron Smart products and I understand there is an optional low cost Bluetooth adapter for the Kisae.
I have no personal experience of the Kisae unit, hopefully someone will be able to add to this thread.

Mike

The Kisea datasheet mentions max 45V PV input:

Take into account the higher potential OC voltage on a very cold sunny day, you might hit that voltage (or even exceed it) with certain panels. Just something to pay attention to, depending on your panels off course

I agree lowering the voltages, I personally set it to 14.2V.

In the manual, I do see its possible to manually ajdust the settings, so I think you're good to go with both. But personally, I love the Victron's for its ease to use. As for the Kisae: I am not familar with them. You might need some special cable or whatever to set custom settings.
I think it can done with the display and buttons, but haven't fully read their manual

Kind of boosts your confidence in the product! I seem to recall someone called Kasie and they stated it was 50 volts, I have seen it in print at 32 volts some time ago.

Mike

You guys are awesome, thank you very much for the replies and advises. Sorry did not add more details to my enquiry.
Most of my overlanding is done in the Pacific Northwest of Canada, little sun access, therefore a charger dc /dc and ac/dc would see the most usage. I can't really remember when was the last time we camped in an open sunny place.?
I heard lots about Victron and very little about kisae. Although in Australia it is branded under Enerdrive and is very popular.
I liked the idea of having a separate smart MPPT and dc/dc charger that allows easy programing/monitoring. My concern was that due to lack of sun , the primary use would be the dc/dc and Kisae offered a 50a charger vs 30a from Victron(and per reviews in the link attached in 2nd post, they overheat and produce even lower amps)
I will have very little current consumption, the portable fridge, intermittent diesel heater, and a few led lights/toy inverter for charging pc. I have for now only a 100w renogy portable suitcase and may get another one if see it being used.
Unfortunately I will have to use my portable 2000w generator when unable to drive around, so will have to look for an ac/dc charger as well. The generator has a dc charger but provides only 6a.
Thank you for the advise re.voltage for battery charging, I will not use more than 14.2v and never more than 0.2cc. I will have the smart victron shunt.

Back