diy solar

diy solar

VictronSmartSolar Bulk Blinking light

Cosmini

hello folks,
was wondering if anyone has come across a BLUE (BULK) blinking light (every 4 seconds) for a Victron SmartSolar 100/30, on an otherwise well functioning system.
Before the BULK light started blinking (it was constant BLUE), I had "borrowd temporarily" the 12AWG cables that came with the Renogy 12V 20A Solar Suitcase, for panels outputting some 400W supposedly, in series . Yes, the long 10' 12awg cable from Victron SCC to battery was almost hot to the touch around the 30amps inline fuse (yes I know :) -- was monitoring).

SO I CHANGED THE WIRES:
10AWG, 10 ft (solar wires) coming from solar panels to Victron SCC (instead of the 1ft, 12awg that came with the renogy)
6AWG 1 ft, coming from Victron SCC to battery (instead of the 10ft 12awg that came with the renogy solar suitcase) -- I know it's overkill.
So basically, I now have the Victron SCC much further (10ft) from the solar panels, vs before, very close to the solar panels -- but the BULK Victron light is blinking every 4 seconds, still. I checked the manual which states that the blinking bulk light (every 3 seconds) means that it's not producing output -- which is NOT my case, as the system is all working well (I believe).

I quadruple checked all wiring :) although maybe I'm still missing something.... the output is fine, the battery is charging fine, both the Victron app show good amps being provided, the Renogy battery monitor showing the correct wattage being produced (slightly less than the Victron SCC), PLUS all wires are COOL to the touch, which is what I wanted to accomplish, but still BLUE blinking light. Stumped...

thanks kindly for any thoughts,
Cosmin

Last edited:
Check all wires (Batteries */-, PV +/-) are fully inserted in the ports completely and tight. My suggestion, unplug all wires and re-do.
Check the polarity as well.

Have you recently updated the firmware? Are you on the latest firmware? From what I can find in the manual, blinking at 3 or 4 seconds is normal and indicates that the unit is working/communicating properly.

I think you did a good job with the wiring change. I run 6 gauge on the output side. That's the important side because you see lower voltage and higher amps there.

duh, "elementary, my dear Watson" kinda moment:

So putting back the original wiring, just for testing, it turns out that, when no Solar Power are hooked to the Victron CC , the blue BULK light is OFF and blinks ON, every 3 or 4 seconds. IF, however, Solar Panels are hooked to the Victron CC, the blue BULK light is ON and blinks OFF, every 3 or 4 seconds (exactly the opposite of the first scenario).

Ok, all set, confirmed everything looks ok with the new wires and blinking OFF once every few seconds. :)
thanks everyone, for the help -- much appreciated --

Back