diy solar

diy solar

Video Ideas for Will

svetz

Works in theory! Practice? That's something else
Got an idea?

One idea per post! Vote for your favorites with emoticons!

Last edited:
On Sol-Ark... why not Visit them in Texas so you can see how they build them and see the guts of the unit without having to rip them apart? (after the current health crisis of course). I bet they'd be thrilled to host you.

Same thing for the Skybox...

Last edited:
Not the most exciting idea, but useful.... A redo of the most complete build video

As things have moved on. Using the octocoupler, etc....

A "how they do it" in the rest of the world video.
din rail setup
mm2 wire sizes
different ac standards

A starter system for someone who just wants to get their feet wet and learn how it works before spending $$$.
Just to charge a 'phone, run a few DC lights. Like for a small cabin or backyard "make work" project.

Seems like a lot of people are saying - I just spent $X,000 and bought A B and C. What do I do now?

...A starter system for someone who just wants to get their feet wet...
He's done that...
...I'm thinking much smaller and simpler - budget $100 ...
The video covers all the basics, scaling down or up to fit a budget should be easy. Most settings are unique to the equipment so very difficult to cover all but the most basic.

Last edited:
I'd love a deep(er) dive into Decian's off-grid ideas, and offerings. It seems so new and confusing, but hints at turning concepts on their heads.

This may have already been tackled before but I myself would be interested to see a video about how to keep your batteries at a safe temperature. I live in Montana so heat is much less of an issue than below freezing temps. What heaters / insulation / electronics and whatnot would be a good idea and any pros and cons that would be related. I know you could keep your kit inside your house or shed but what if you are dealing with an RV or another situation where the batteries will be in a more external kind of location.

A simple, yet expandable, pergola/gazebo style unit whereby peeps can be shaded, run a fan, computer, electric bbq and other little knick knacks and use it as an "outdoors office".
Someone did a yt on one of these for a school.

I would love to see a video on how to hook in a generator into a smaller type system - for example, I'm on grid, but currently planning on slowly expanding my solar from landscape lights to well pump then to larger things. I live in Oregon, so we can get a long duration of cloudy days and I'd like to have a 'trigger' that I can use to tie in a AC generator to charge up my batteries if they hit a certain level (for me, FLA at 55% maybe?) and then cut off when they reach 80%, letting solar do the rest.

I think this would also be valuable for people with a generator that kicks in at a certain point?

Hello!
First I wanted to say that I know well that I don't represent a majority: I live in a 3rd world country where everything is super expensive and technology is way outdated.
There are a lot of solar panel offers lately in my country which fueled my willpower to start my project. But absolutely no one has "LiFePO4" batteries on stock. There are a few sellers that ask for money and for you to wait months until they give you the merchandise. This is because not everyone is allowed to use chinese portals like aliexpress (except for purchases below u$d 20 or 50, something like that). So the ones that are allowed to import goods from china, do this thing where they get the money from you months ahead until you get your merchandise. And they're not cheap.
This is an example:
screenshot.2873.jpg

This was about ~u$d 1750 before the last tax was applied a few months ago (nowdays its that plus 30%). NO one buys them, first because they're super expensive. Second, because they're not readily available. Third, they're not even standardized/legalized yet! Those sellers are just "low-profile smugglers" . Basically all off-grid solar projects in my country use lead acid gel batteries, maybe FLA.

Long story short, I'm afraid LiFePO4 is almost science fiction to us Argentinians. Don't get me wrong! I'm fascinated by them, I wish some day I will be able to get a big DIY bank! I like the videos, but I must confess I got trapped by Will's content with the very basic howtos (losses calculation. Different panel comparisons, using mirrors to check throughput, etc).
Mostly of the new videos are amazing in-depth reviews of products that are the current shiny jewels of Off-grid power . Products that I don't even have the chance of acquiring.

So!.... I know I ask for much. But I would love to see alternative battery chemistries . The storage is the current "hot spot", in my opinion, since panels are getting cheaper every day. Availability and affordability are so bad where I live, that I had long conversations with a familiy member that happens to be a chemist about feasibility of building our own Flooded lead acid batteries. Sadly, we concluded that smuggling enriched uranium would be easier and safer to handle :ROFLMAO:

Feedback: This forum is amazing, and Will's videos are always interesting to watch!
Best regards!

A variation of the complete build video suggestion above: I'd like to see how the battery monitor shunt would fit in the systems where the inverter, solar charge controller, etc., bypass the BMS. Where does it go?

I would like to see one (or three) on grounding including earth connections, bonding and system grounding.

Will talked about getting a cheap Harbor Freight system and setting it up as a video.

What would be more fun is Will letting someone else (neighbor?) do that installation and using when they do something wrong as a teaching moment. Have to figure the "neighbor" would have all the questions and make all the most common mistakes anyone else would.

It's all well and cool when one simply conjures up Amazon on the computer and has a desired piece or component delivered next day but not all the world has that ( "WoodsieLord" for instance and many others I suspect). But when things go amiss, well... I would like to see some work arounds explored so when/if SHTF happens and components fail we can keep our systems running (abet at perhaps reduced efficiency). Along the lines of Will's "Dystopian Future" system (pg 18 of his book).

For example: I know that with a drained battery one can dump the output of a 12 volt panel directly into it. No controller .... one has to watch the voltage like a hawk but it does work. How much damage I did to the battery I will never know but for several days (until I found the spare regulator for my Atomic 4) I charged the boats batteries doing just that. So in a pinch one can get by without a controller. How many other pieces can be jury rigged?

That sort of thing, Will's: "This is all speculation. I hope none of you will need this setup! It is a good thought exercise" expanded and explored.

Back