diy solar

diy solar

Video Surveillance Systems?

HARG Hunter

Thirsty for Off-Grid Knowledge
Looking for a closed circuit security / surveillance system to help protect our off grid cabin.
Our old cabin had been broken into in years past, and now that we've built the new one we are hoping to maybe get a system in place to keep an eye on it.

We are 100% off grid, so our solar setup provides our power.
We do not have internet there either, so a remote access/internet type system isn't in the cards.

We've considered buying a Cuddylink system with trail cameras that have a cell plan, but it's another $800 we don't want to spend right now.
Most surveillance systems from Home Depot (QSee) or others are pretty cheap (Under $300).

Just curious if anyone has recommendations on a system that uses very little energy.

We don't need remote access.
Internal storage would be fine because I believe having active cameras there would eliminate any would-be burglars.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
See the link for my system in the signature if you have questions on the solar set-up we have there.

1) sign that indicates trespassers are under video surveillance (might be enough alone)
2) fake cameras to back it up (reinforces #1)
3) something like this

While it's designed to work as a wifi camera, it also has the option of recording to MicroSD after an initial online setup.

We have the luxury of Internet access... no grid power, but we have 20Mbit DSL. Go figure. We use the Blink XT2 system:

1608736445904.png

Bandwidth is very low, you might consider the option of a mobile hotspot if they are available. That opens you up to many cheaper internet connected options. Before we had DSL, we had a phone with hotspot enabled. That also might be an option - add another phone to your plan and leave it up there acting as a mobile hotspot... :)

Get the dahua starlight cameras 2mp they draw 3-5w in night maybe 6-7 w each ..I've tried few other types in the past .now have 40+ dahua cameras on few locations and couldn't be happier night time image is amazing

Having independent Bush Cams with FLIR work great.
Signage with the "No Trespassing" sign is good idea.
Make sure that at least one or two are semi-visible and one "obvious, to be seen (a dummy) that is covered by hidden cam.

I've had folks wander onto my property, ignoring signage and empty brass casings (7.62mm ;-) ) but they "spot" the obvious Cam and realize they are being watched. All have about-faced and left. The little sign under the obvious one says (4 cams are watching you Right Now). BTW, Everyone notices THAT cam, a few have commented on it... Others have strained trying to spot the others (up in the trees, they can't).

I can suggest a Cabin Security System which will drive anyone out of the building if they break in. It was actually considered a Sonic Weapon when 1st released and subject to laws & regs depending on your locality. It uses an ultra high pitch that can actually cause hearing loss in a human.
Here is the Updated "Non-Harmful" version. Cabin / Camp / Security System Kit. Uses no power when armed. (cabinalarm.com)
You now have to source the 160+db siren independently because it can deafen.

Bush Cams are like wild fruit in my neck of the woods. I love to find them. Some day I will put 4 IR detectors on a hat an make a kickstarter to sell my custom cam hunting gear. .

For my homestead I use Unifi Coudkey 2+ for DVR.

I use this one:

You can put a 64Gb microsd card in it but I monitor mine via WiFi.

The triple panels keep it charged during bleak northern Ohio winters.

Bush Cams are like wild fruit in my neck of the woods. I love to find them. Some day I will put 4 IR detectors on a hat an make a kickstarter to sell my custom cam hunting gear. .

For my homestead I use Unifi Coudkey 2+ for DVR.
We have plenty of trail cams out there, and every couple of years we get one stolen.
We are surrounded by private land, but we're in one of the top areas for big bucks in Wisconsin, and people in the area know we are not local.

Exactly why we are looking for something that can keep the evidence in case someone tries stealing or damaging a camera.

The CuddeLink series might be the winner.
We can keep the "Mother" camera in the cabin and have the externals connected to it.
Even if they steal it we would have footage of it.

Before we had DSL, we had a phone with hotspot enabled. That also might be an option - add another phone to your plan and leave it up there acting as a mobile hotspot.

This is a good option. There are some cheap pay-as-you-go phones/plans out there. I have a cheap ($40) phone that has a cheap ($35 mo) plan with AT&T that has 15GB of hotspot data. I use this as a backup for my security system when my internet goes down (which happens too often).

Back