diy solar

diy solar

Virtual Critical Circuits Panel: The Span Panel

svetz

Works in theory! Practice? That's something else
Basically, the Span is a replacement for your regular circuit breaker panel, except it allows circuits to be shut on/off based on how you prioritize or remote control over your cell phone. Has some other bells and whistles (watts/circuit, knows about abnormal usage), but it's pricey at $3K to $5k.

I don't think I would be comfortable having my entire homes electrical system online for other people to mess with. If it's online, it can be breached.

I just viewed that video and came here to post about it and you beat me to it. I wonder about malfunction of the "smart" part of the SPAN panel. If you have a malfunction you may be forced to replace it with a standard service panel or equivalent until the SPAN panel can be repaired or replaced and this wouldn't be cheap and you may be powerless(except extension cords etc) until its replaced !!

my goal for something like this is to be able to manage it locally w/out need for the cloud. Usually when there are power issues there are... well cloud access issues too. if local management is possible then disabling it talking to the cloud is a piece of cake.

Back