diy solar

diy solar

Voc and Charge Controllers

biker

I have a EPever MPPT 40A controller and 12V batteries. I am considering stringing 4 x 100W panels in series. Anything wrong with doing this, provided i am within the specified Voc and Vmp maximums? I know that, for the MPPt to work, I need to be at least 2V above the battery voltage, but is there some practical upper limit?

The MPPT has an absolute max Voc on the input. You can't exceed that. Ever. You need to allow for margin for cold weather. 4S might be too much if that unit is limited to 100V.

While you can calculate it for specific panels, typical is 3.5% voltage increase for every 10°C below 25°C.

I have a EPever MPPT 40A controller and 12V batteries. I am considering stringing 4 x 100W panels in series. Anything wrong with doing this, provided i am within the specified Voc and Vmp maximums? I know that, for the MPPt to work, I need to be at least 2V above the battery voltage, but is there some practical upper limit?
The EPEver AN series in the 40amp size normally has a max input voltage rating of 100v, 92v in hot weather. Look it up. If you plan to use in cold weather, be sure to stay well below 100v, like maybe below 85v, as the panels Voc will go up in as the temp goes down.

I have the 4415N 40A, Voc max=150V, Vmpp max=108V, and I live in SW Florida.

Back