diy solar

diy solar

Voltage Drop On Batteries

philatio

Ok, building my storage system bit by bit. I can run most of my house off battery, but I am having a voltage drop issue.

My apologies in advance for the long post. I want to provide as much info as possible.

Here's the build. No PV connected yet. I use AC input on the inverter to charge the batteries for now.

1 x MPP Solar LV6048
4 x EG4-LL 48V batteries with Signature Solar 6 space rack.
1 x 200A T Class Fuse
1 x Victron smart shunt.
1 x Eaton CH10Gen5050SN switched neutral transfer switch used as sub panel. This was a Eaton CH10Gen5030SN but I switched the 30 amp input breaker to a 50 amp input breaker as I assumed that was the issue with the voltage sag. It was not.
1 x 200amp DC cicuit breaker to allow batteries to be disconnected to service the inverter.

The 8 + 1 double pole breaker marked in red on the main load center have been moved to the transfer switch. The double pole is for the heat pump which is a 25 amp breaker. With the exception of the heat pump, I have kept all other high load circuits out. Range, Dryer, Dishwasher, Resistive Coils for emergency heat etc

20220513_180208.jpg20220513_180254.jpg20220513_180456.jpg20220513_180515.jpg
Inverter output is wired to the transfer switch with THHN 6awg wire. The run is less than 25 feet as I ordered 25 feet and cut some off after running the wire end to end. I cut off at most 2 feet.

For the batteries in the rack I did not run Signature Solar's provide cabling. I used 1/0 gauge wire from the battery terminals to the rack's bus bars.

The bus bars are connected to the inverter with 4/0 gauge wire. 4/0 from bus bars to T Class Fuse & Victron Smart Shunt and 4/0 from these to the inverter.

When running off utility power, all the circuits operate without issue from the top right 50 amp utility breaker in the transfer switch.

When I switch to battery power, Things still run, but with issues when the heat pump kicks on. When it does, even though my server rack has it's own ups, it kicks my main media server off line and you can hear the ups click on and off. Battery to "Line" battery to Line. I can watch the lcd screen on the ups's roaming from the usual 120v input to as low as 110v back to 117v etc. The server rack for my media sever has a second ups that has all the network equipment, router etc connected to it and the internet stays up. Note that both these ups's in the server rack are connect to 1 dedicated 20 amp breaker at the transfer switch.

I have another UPS thats connected to my entertainment center and it does the same voltage roaming, just not as badly, and I do not lose the tv, receiver, media player or switches connected to it.

After the heat pump has been on a couple minutes everything settles. I can turn the media server back on and the ups then handles the voltage fluctuations, but still clicks back and forth from the ups battery.

My question is, if all these circuits run no problem on a 50 amp utility power circuit, why would I be having issues with a 50 amp (generator) battery circuit?

Any in put is greatly appreciated.

Do you have any idea how much inrush current your heat pump is pulling. Some compressors can pull up to 4 times their stated runtime current. For example, a HVAC system that runs at 20 amps might pull 80 at startup. I'm not familiar with the specifics of your inverter, but 50 amps of city/shore power is sometimes better than 50 amps of inverter power (if the inverter tops out at 50). This is because city power can handle brown out situations, but inverters simply clip the current and/or voltage. You're situation is the perfect example why off grid folks will choose low frequency inverters over high frequency inverters. --- again I'm just guessing as I'm looking at this by the symptoms ---

Changing a 30 Amp breaker to a 50 Amp breaker may be putting your wires at risk. As far as I know breakers do not cause voltage to drop.

Changing a 30 Amp breaker to a 50 Amp breaker may be putting your wires at risk. As far as I know breakers do not cause voltage to drop.
According to my research the wire should be fine. I ran new wire. I did not use the 10awg that was connected to the 30amp breaker. I ran 6awg which is to code per the charts.

Do you have any idea how much inrush current your heat pump is pulling. Some compressors can pull up to 4 times their stated runtime current. For example, a HVAC system that runs at 20 amps might pull 80 at startup. I'm not familiar with the specifics of your inverter, but 50 amps of city/shore power is sometimes better than 50 amps of inverter power (if the inverter tops out at 50). This is because city power can handle brown out situations, but inverters simply clip the current and/or voltage. You're situation is the perfect example why off grid folks will choose low frequency inverters over high frequency inverters. --- again I'm just guessing as I'm looking at this by the symptoms ---
My assumption was also the in rush current but figured if it didn't pop the 25 amp circuit breaker I was good.
The smart shunt register 45-49 amps when all that is running, but is not fine grained enough to see what the inrush would be.

I know the LVX6048 is low frequency but I'm not sure about the LV6048

Thanks for the input.

Consider putting a soft starter on the heat pump.
That was my original plan, however a soft start is not recommend on the heat pump I have:
Lennox 14hpx-030-230.

As the house and all mechanical systems are just 6 years old, I don't want to potentially shorten the heat pump life by doing something that is not recommended.

Thanks for the input.

According to my research the wire should be fine. I ran new wire. I did not use the 10awg that was connected to the 30amp breaker. I ran 6awg which is to code per the charts.
(y)

My assumption was also the in rush current but figured if it didn't pop the 25 amp circuit breaker I was good.
The smart shunt register 45-49 amps when all that is running, but is not fine grained enough to see what the inrush would be.

I know the LVX6048 is low frequency but I'm not sure about the LV6048

Does your inverter weigh about 40 or 80 pounds?

Do you have any idea how much inrush current your heat pump is pulling. Some compressors can pull up to 4 times their stated runtime current.

IMHO, this is at the low end.

LRA is 64A with 13A rated run.

64A * 240V = 15,360W - well above the surge capability of this inverter.

That was my original plan, however a soft start is not recommend on the heat pump I have:
Lennox 14hpx-030-230.

Where is this not recommended? Soft starters actually reduce stress on high current components.

This brand is used extensively for RV A/C units. here's a unit suitable for a 6 ton residential A/C:

IMHO, this is at the low end.

LRA is 64A with 13A rated run.

64A * 240V = 15,360W - well above the surge capability of this inverter.

Where is this not recommended? Soft starters actually reduce stress on high current components.

This brand is used extensively for RV A/C units. here's a unit suitable for a 6 ton residential A/C:

I couldn't answer the question where its not recommended, but I did find it on line somewhere during the planning stage.

The EasyStart 368 is actually the one I was looking at at the time.

I have the EasyStart 368 on my Lennox 4-ton. It works great. Reduced the lights dimming, and the inrush is also reduced...though not as much as they claim since my system uses a TXV instead of a piston. It definitely reduces the strain on the scroll compressor and will likely make a difference with your inverter.

Circuit breakers are designed to pop slow. The industry standard is for 2 seconds at 6 times the rated load. So your 25 amp breaker would take 2 seconds to pop at 150 amps. It will take longer to pop at say 80. This standard was created because of devices such as compressors.

Back