diy solar

diy solar

Voltage drops and resets after a few seconds—stuck in safety mode?

Jacob Scoville

Hello! A little over a year ago I bought two renogy 100AH batteries since I needed something ASAP for work and Battleborn would have taken too long. In retrospect I wish I would have risked it for the Battleborn.
I recently disconnected my battery system to insulate the Renogy batteries and realized one of the batteries has a severe issue. While testing with a multimeter I noticed the voltage holds at 13.1 for a few seconds before dropping towards zero and resetting back to 13.1. Does this sound like some kind of safety mode it may have gone into at some point? I contacted Renogy and was told to fully charge it to see if the problem would persist—which I assumed was just a standard response—and now while charging it has the same issue. My charger has a power supply output option and I’m continuing to charge it up very slowly (currently a little under 13.3 volts) and it still seems to go in cycles of accepting amps and then resetting every 5 seconds. Is the BMS probably screwed? FBC42DA9-2D46-4633-8E39-234EA686AD19.jpeg

Sounds like it, if it's not under warranty, maybe it's time to take it apart and see if you can reset the BMS (or just call their support people to see if there is an easier way) :)

Back