diy solar

diy solar

Voltage settings

Dm5

So I’ve managed to connect my array (thanks Mike) and now I want to check the settings are right...they seem a bit high. Picture below of how they are set by the manufacturer (sealed battery) My 12v battery is fully charged at 13.8v and with the alternator running it says 14.4v and with the top up from the mains it says 14.4 too.
I’m worried it may end up being over charged and then the battery life will be knackered.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I don't see a problem. With that type of battery, your controller will boost to 14.4v and then float at 13.8v. How long did you have the alternator running for?

If you are uncomfortable with this charge profile, you could put in a DC-DC charger to prevent the alternator from overcharging the sealed battery.

What charging device is used by your "mains"?

Thanks. I guess I was worried about the disconnect voltage at 16v...perhaps I don’t understand what this means. Alternator was running for 10 mins but this has run fine for years. The mains goes through a Sargent ECB which converts to a DC current.
Sounds like they are all doing the same?

Is the image in the first post from the inverter owner's manual? The 16v over voltage disconnect means that the inverter is going to shutdown if it sees 16v coming in from the battery.

In section 4.1 it says:

When the battery voltage reaches the over voltage disconnect voltage, it will automatically stop battery charging to prevent battery damage caused by over-charging.

It sounds like an overall failsafe limit to me.

Reactions: Dm5
Back