Voltronic Inverter Home assistant Monitoring

JNBCpt

Hi everyone,

I know this topic has been posted and discussed at length, but I am pretty new to this and would like input from the seasoned guys.

I am a sparky by trade, and have installed countless Voltronic inverters. Obviously one of the first questions clients asked is "can I monitor this from my phone?"

I know the newer models with built in Wifi is a tad easier to monitor Via watchpower/solarpower app, but is that really the solution? I've seen some projects guys have designed on Home assistant, which to me look like the obvious choice, but my question is: Can a Solution be designed that is more of a plug and play type of thing (on the user side) that can be given to the buyer of the inverter? Something in the lines of ICC, but that is more attractive to look at. I know solar assistant will your answer, but I am sure there can be a more cost effective sollution with something like an ESP8266?

Lastly, direct coms to the battery BMS will require a PI, has someone gone down that rabbit hole?

wattmatters

Photon Sorcerer
but I am sure there can be a more cost effective sollution
Yes, the answer is Solar Assistant. It's US$56 + Rpi.

It just works. Remote monitoring on phone if you have internet.

It also opens up the ability to control the inverter remotely and/or via automations, be that with Home Assistant and/or via Node Red.

jpimlott

Solar Enthusiast
I have solar and home assistant and they work great.

Solar assistant talks to my batteries for state of charge and can make decisions when to go to grid and back.
Using voltage sucks as a big load will temporally lower voltage when bounces back when the big load is gone
but the inverter will switch to gride because it sees the lower voltage.
All the date is sent to home assistant and be logged and dissected by the energy panel.

Texican

Solar Enthusiast
I have solar and home assistant and they work great.
function
Solar assistant talks to my batteries for state of charge and can make decisions when to go to grid and back.
Using voltage sucks as a big load will temporally lower voltage when bounces back when the big load is gone
but the inverter will switch to gride because it sees the lower voltage.
All the date is sent to home assistant and be logged and dissected by the energy panel.
in Solar Assistant use the "maintain battery state of charge" to auto switch to grid and back.
dont use voltage

jpimlott

Solar Enthusiast
That is what i Do but poorly said.

At 40% i switch to the grid and at 50% it back to battery.
Only 2 transfers per day
In March or sooner there will be none as the solar can fully feed the house.
I just finished installing this weekend. The last screw in the last panel (load center cover) feels good.
Now the 4 growatts can power even the clothes dryer off grid.