diy solar

diy solar

VOLTS How to determine

Unless you are running 12 volt appliances, go with a 48 volt system.
On a practical level, the higher the voltage the better in almost every case.
I am not sure I am alone in saying that I have a sh-load of 12V tools, toys, lights and gadgets. Its dang hard going to 24 or 48V.
My next battery and inverter will be 24V. Its dang hard doing this because I don't own ANYTHING that runs on 24V.

I know it is rediculously redundant, but I am thinking of getting a separate units for my fridge, hvac, dialysis machine, washer and dryer. so far i have whittled my usage to 1092 kwh per month. Hanging our clothes helps.

You will definitely want a 48v system to run stuff like that. As mentioned wiring size and cost, fuses etc. all get unmanageable with a lower voltage system which needs to put out a number of kW’s.

The HVAC, unless it’s something like a mini split, will be very hard to do. Same with the dryer. The rest is very doable although I don’t know much about the power consumption of a peritoneal dialysis machine but it will likely be significant as it’s kind of a big fluid pump that runs for a bit of time.

Can you provide any power consumption info from the manual or back of the machine ? Even a model number and make would help

I am not sure I am alone in saying that I have a sh-load of 12V tools, toys, lights and gadgets. Its dang hard going to 24 or 48V.
My next battery and inverter will be 24V. Its dang hard doing this because I don't own ANYTHING that runs on 24V.
Yes, but the original poster is talking about his house, not an RV. Very unusual to run 12v at home.

The general rule is this when dealing with a system supporting inverters, and keeping cabling size/loss down to a minimum. Line voltage drop should always be taken into account, but here are the go / no-go starting points.

For every 1000 watts of AC, add 12v. Example:

0 to 1000 watts = 12v ok

1000 to 2000 watts = 24v ok

2000 watts or more = 48v system.

Note that 36v systems are not really mentioned because equipment for that voltage is usually harder to find and kind of a niche application - most simply jump to 48v when exceeding 2000 watts of draw.

Back