diy solar

diy solar

Real or Fake? Test your knowledge and bamboozle your friends!

Bottle Loft​

Save room in your fridge for more beer by lofting your bottles by their caps.

Real! Image is a link.

Insulated Beverage Jacket - $12.95​

Keep beverages cold

Real, the lmage is a hyperlink
1670265570604.png

Plant IV​

LIFE SUPPORT FOR YOUR HOUSE PLANT

Real. I even bought one for my gardener wife as a joke.
But, they're actually useful in that they drip irrigate house plants.
The image is a hyperlink to amazon, $6.75

81Lo77J87JL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Scented Soothing Candle​

Available in several soothing scents from Coffee Shop to Old Library Books.

Real. But for $18 just print your own label.
1670266227529.png

ToeTunes​

• Full range audio
  • Bluetooth
  • Rechargeable batteries

Fake, but you can get the box and prank someone. Image is a hyperlink.

Adsorption Air Conditioner​

• Adsorption chillers use heat to cool
  • Use waste heat from your PV panels to power the Air Conditioner
  • A 10kW PV & Thermal panel array generates 33 kW of heat
  • 25 Year warranty
  • Outlet temperature 7 to 20°C
  • Your system can provide free Air Conditioning year-round

Adsorption was probably the first cooling technology and is of course real.
But this is fake in that there's a ready-to-go system. AFAIK, you'd have to DIY it.

The BryChill has a COP of .55 and the hot water inlet is 60 to 90°C. The image is a link.

PV & Thermal panels like the DualSun are 425W PV & 1372.8 Wth @ 80°C,
so a 10 kW PV system would generate about 33 kW of hot water at 80°C.
With a COP of .55 (assuming the math is right) that's 62,000 BTU of cooling available.
(@Supervstech will probably check me out on this, he's a wizard at AC).

Of course, nothing at night or when it's overcast and as the system has nearly a full
vacuum the inevitable leaks might need the occasional vacuum pumping.
Not to mention all the extra plumbing. Still, if you're like me the AC is the biggest consumer of energy.
1670430696640.png

Last edited:

Millenium Falcon Blimp​

Imagine the reaction when this highly detailed painted blimp
of the iconic Millenium Falcon hovers or shoots across your skies.
  • Can carry two passengers
  • Cruises at 60 mph
  • 1000 mile range

Fake. But could be done I guess.
91U9XhiYEHL.jpg

Millenium Falcon Blimp​

Imagine the reaction when this highly detailed painted blimp
of the iconic Millenium Falcon hovers or shoots across your skies.
  • Can carry two passengers
  • Cruises at 60 mph
  • 1000 mile range

Fake. But could be done I guess.
91U9XhiYEHL.jpg
Fake? Waahhh... I imagine a blimp could be painted to resemble the M.F. but I see no practical way to build one in that shape...

I see no practical way to build one in that shape...
A blimp is just the displacement of the weight of air by something lighter (or a vacuum). Why couldn't it be in any shape you like?

The mass would need to be properly centered to keep horizontal flight, so you might have to be in the bottom gunner's chair rather than the cockpit. Could be complicated with fuel and propulsion weight unless everything was stacked in the center. Possibly use drone-like fan systems for some of the lift so you could control up/down and keep things horizontal even though the mass is a little off-center? You could have a ring inside that a weight traverses that acts as a counterbalance.

A blimp is just the displacement of the weight of air by something lighter (or a vacuum). Why couldn't it be in any shape you like?

The mass would need to be properly centered to keep horizontal flight, so you might have to be in the bottom gunner's chair rather than the cockpit. Could be complicated with fuel and propulsion weight unless everything was stacked in the center. Possibly use drone-like fan systems for some of the lift so you could control up/down and keep things horizontal even though the mass is a little off-center? You could have a ring inside that a weight traverses that acts as a counterbalance.
The problem of making a blimp in any shape beyond cigar ish becomes structure to maintain the shape is heavy. I suppose a series of cigar or hexagonal shapes could be stacked into the basic shape, but then the extra material for holding all the hexagonal shapes falls into mass etc...

SnowTeng - Electrical Power from Snow​

Scientists have known that snow carries an electrical charge for several decades, but this device is one of the first to capitalize on that effect to power your home during winter when the sun doesn't shine.

HOW DOES IT WORK?
H2O is a polar molecule, meaning that one of its sides is negatively charged (specifically, the side with the oxygen atom) and the other is positively charged (the side with the two hydrogen atoms). When water molecules crystalize into snowflakes, they orient themselves such that the snowflake gets an overall charge. Friction, too, can confer an electrical charge to snowflakes.

Real effect, Fake device. Output is 0.2 milliwatts per square meter. The image is from a car's fuel cell stack. You could probably get more power from snow via its potential energy.
hyzon-motors-unveils-fuel-cell-stack-with-highest-power-density-6-kw-l.jpg

Last edited:

3M ELM Tape​

Luminescent in magnetic fields, instantly find poor connections or
tripped breakers! Brightness is proportional to field strength, low or
high amp carrying cables can instantly be seen, invaluable for safety!

Fake AFAIK. What's shown is 3M's Photoluminescent tape.
It would be cool though and magnetic luminescence is real.
3mtm-photoluminescent-rolls-light.jpg
3mtm-photoluminescent-rolls-dark.jpg

Shoe Lights​

• ROBUST & WEATHERPROOF
  • 360 DEGREE VISIBILITY - Light up your path with 150 lumens. A forward-facing lightbeam of up to 30 feet and two back facing red lights defines obstacles, and alerts motorists
  • Whether running, cycling, walking, hiking, camping, fishing, or walking your dog, these shoe lights let you see and be seen safely in the dark from dusk till dawn.
  • Long-lasting lithium ion batteries are fast charging via small micro USB, retaining light for your activities for 2.5 hours when using the high setting, or up to 5 hours with the standard setting.
Real, google shoe lights, a lot of varieties on Amazon.
NR_gallery_4_600x.jpg

Solar Powered Weeding Robot​

• Each robot can maintain up to 200 sq. ft.
  • identify plants from weeds
  • It is weatherproof and can stay in the garden from Spring through Fall.
  • NOT FOR LAWNS or SLOPED AREAS
Real. The image is a link. It identifies weeds by plant height

Mr Fusion (Home Fusion Kit)​

• Some Assemby Required
  • Includes Vacuum pump
  • Don't stick your head in
  • Don't touch with two hands.
Real, sort of... seems like you can get all the stuff on line and actually create fusion. But watch the video!

Gravity Pumped AC Boots​

The human body is cooled in two ways: the evaporation of sweat and heat transfer from where large volumes of blood pass close to the surface (e.g., neck, hands, feet).

As you walk you compress the working fluid and move air passed the heat rejection chamber. The cooling fluid is circulated around your feet, keeping you cooler as you walk.

Fake. But I like the idea. ;)
YM0VH315LPNX0PAF.png

$0.2/kWh Zinc Bromide Flow Battery​

• Voltage: 48 Volt DC nominal (typical operating range 40-60V).
  • Capacity: Maximum 10kWh usable.
  • Dimensions: 861L x 747H x 400W (mm).
  • Weight: 240kg with electrolyte; 90kg without.
  • Power rating: 3kW continuous (5kW peak).
  • Stack energy efficiency: 80% DC-DC maximum.
  • Warranty: Electrode stack: 36,500 kWh of energy delivered or 10 years (whichever comes first).
Real, at least according to this.
redflow-zbm3.jpg

Back