diy solar

diy solar

wago lever nuts

John Frum

Tell me your problems
I just got some Wago 221-613 and 221-413 lever nuts for evaluation.

Its my understanding that they are popular in Europe but are just starting to gain traction in North America for AC applications.

The big ones accept up to 10 awg stranded without a ferrule.
They also accept 12/14/16 awg with or without a ferrule.
The small ones accept 12/14 awg without a ferrule and 16 awg with or without a ferrule.

I think they should be fine for vibration tolerance.

I see them as quite a useful option for stationary and mobile DC applications as well as AC.

I will leave the marine application suitability question to somebody more qualified.
I can say that they don't appear to be water proof.

bottom.jpgright.jpgleft.jpgtop.jpg

I think this is going to impact electrical the same way PEX did plumbing.

The lever presses down on the metal contact to open it when it's raised. The contact is a folded piece of metal with an opening for the wire to go into. When the lever is closed the contact pulls the hole closed and bites into the wire. The angles make the hold self reinforcing. If you try to pull the wire out it just bites harder.

What I think you Americans call wire nuts have not been used in AC installations in Sweden since the nineties. The Wago 221, and other similar models with opening levers, are not used that often since they are rather expensive. We mostly use the simpler versions where you just push the wire in. Disassembly is harder, but rarely needed.

Both are so much fast, safer and convenient then wire nuts. It's amazing that they have not taken over the American market earlier. Perhaps it's a regulatory issue?

Wago 773:
1579791613544.png

What I think you Americans call wire nuts have not been used in AC installations in Sweden since the nineties. The Wago 221, and other similar models with opening levers, are not used that often since they are rather expensive. We mostly use the simpler versions where you just push the wire in. Disassembly is harder, but rarely needed.

Both are so much fast, safer and convenient then wire nuts. It's amazing that they have not taken over the American market earlier. Perhaps it's a regulatory issue?

Wago 773:
View attachment 5727

Voltage and amperage is the issue with using them in the USA...

we use 120v for most everything, so standard appliances pull more amps here than higher voltage areas...

this connector is standard in commercial lighting ballasts, etc... but in homes, it’ll fail like the push in contacts do in the light switches and wall receptacles.
Wire nuts are a secure locking connection forcing all conductors into physical contact. They are better than the quick install push connectors here.

Voltage and amperage is the issue with using them in the USA...

we use 120v for most everything, so standard appliances pull more amps here than higher voltage areas...

The Wago 773, imaged above, are rated for 24A. Do you normally have 120V circuits rated higher than that?

this connector is standard in commercial lighting ballasts, etc... but in homes, it’ll fail like the push in contacts do in the light switches and wall receptacles.

That sounds like the older generations of electricians in Sweden did :) Perhaps early push in contacts were bad? I've replaced plenty of light switches and receptacles from the 90s with push in connectors, and never seen an issues. Maybe the bad ones were already replaced back then...

Wire nuts are a secure locking connection forcing all conductors into physical contact. They are better than the quick install push connectors here.

Wire nuts can absolutely make very good connections, but it takes skill to do it properly. It's a lot easier to fail with a wire nut then with a push in connector. It's also generally easier to inspect your work in a push in connector.

I think if there is any prejudice against push in connectors it stems from the terrible reputation of "back stab" outlets.
This is an example back stab

it’ll fail like the push in contacts do in the light switches and wall receptacles.

I think if there is any prejudice against push in connectors it stems from the terrible reputation of "back stab" outlets.
This is an example back stab

Most new home builders use those damn things to speed up the install. Then they don't even leave enough slack in the wire to make it easy to fix a decade down the line when they eventually fail. Pisses me off.

Those leverlocks do look more secure, but the reputation of those back stab outlets and switches really scare away people that have dealt with them.

Another concern here is the tiny wall boxes we are forced to use. I rewire about 60 houses a month, and I see everything from knob and tube 100v wiring to modern romex in homes, and with all the stupidity homeowner electricians and handymen wage on a home, I can DEFINITELY see the advantage of using a secure simple to use connector like this... but I run into wires twisted over each other with tape holding it... so seeing these would be a dream in comparison.
I have also seen 10 circuits crammed into a single 2x4 wall box, and larger limiting connectors would just lead to more connections sticking out of boxes.

I am sure they work, I am sure they are rated for 24a I am also sure poor workmen/women can ruin them.

Most handymen dont read the instructions for using a wire nut. It is a conductor securing device with specs on wire quantity, size and torque specs...

It isnt a thingie to cover wires they twisted together.

I'm sure the reason they arent used by everyone here is cost.

I recently discovered them and bought a box of 2, 3, 4, and 5 lever connectors for a small solar project.

I absolutely love em!

Yes, they are costly but for small projects they are really convenient. I really wasn't looking fwd to soldering on a bunch of XT 60's so I ended up using these to connect some SAE connectors for a disconnectable solar panel input plus for all the other connections.

I have them in my ceiling for fans I have installed. They are great to work with when you’re not enjoying spending time up on the ladder. Much easier than wire nuts and can get a lot of it done one handed while hanging on to the ladder.

I installed many Wago PLC controllers during my career and used quite a bit of their hardware ..... It was all quality stuff and they had a lot of innovation that made things easier.

Back