diy solar

diy solar

Waiting for Godot (IQ8)

Bluedog225

Texas
Some have been waiting for the IQ8 for a while, myself included. Probably a good thing as I’ve used the time to learn.

Here’s my question, when the IQ8 is out, am I going to be able to DIY panels/IQ8s, combiner, inverter/charger (e.g. Quattro), and store bought or diy 48 volt batteries (expandable as needed).

Or, are the control systems and communications systems between the IQ8, the Quattro and the batteries going to require a PhD in rocket surgery?

I‘d rather not wait another 6 months to start gathering components only to find out that the preferred system was not available in real life. If I go “traditional” I could get moving today and have power by the summer.

What do you guys think?

Some have been waiting for the IQ8 for a while, myself included. Probably a good thing as I’ve used the time to learn.

Here’s my question, when the IQ8 is out, am I going to be able to DIY panels/IQ8s, combiner,
Yep... the Enphase university can help too with that list.

inverter/charger (e.g. Quattro), and store bought or diy 48 volt batteries (expandable as needed).
I don't know that the Quattro can control the IQ8s directly, so assuming you're thinking an AC coupling solution? Might want to compare those costs to an Ensemble cost (should be under $5k for an Enpower and Encharge 3.3).

One advantage of the Enpower over the Quattro is that it can combine power from two sources (e.g., generator and solar to recharge batteries and power the house).

Or, are the control systems and communications systems between the IQ8, the Quattro and the batteries going to require a PhD in rocket surgery?
The IQ8s expect to communicate with the Envoy, the Enpower, and the Encharge units. I believe (but haven't seen anyone do it yet, the generator release was supposed to be October but not sure it's been dropped yet) that you could hook diy batteries and an off-grid inverter to the Enpower generator in... but keep in mind that's speculation. Tesla's Powerwall also works with Enphase, but you need their equivalent of the Enpower.

I‘d rather not wait another 6 months to start gathering components only to find out that the preferred system was not available in real life.
If I go “traditional” I could get moving today and have power by the summer.

What do you guys think?
I have the Ensemble (my system) and from what I've seen others post on their systems think it's the way to go. I'm at the limit of IQ7s (panels) to IQ8s (Encharges), so I too am waiting for the IQ8s to add some additional panels to the roof.

Thanks for the detailed response.

I’d be willing to enroll but it looks like the university is only available for installers.

I tried several times to get some info on buying Enphase but it all turned out to be lead generation and sales calls.

I’m hoping to see some diy installs with the IQ8. I may buy a couple to play around with.

Thanks for the detailed response.

I’d be willing to enroll but it looks like the university is only available for installers.
As a DIYer you become the installer. I haven't been through the courses, but a few people online here have. If you use the search you can probably find some threads on it to ask any questions you might have.

I tried several times to get some info on buying Enphase but it all turned out to be lead generation and sales calls.
You can buy directly from Enphase or from online retailers (e.g., Altestore)

I’m hoping to see some diy installs with the IQ8.
Me too!

Back