diy solar

diy solar

Wanderer Battery light-orange

joeperry

I bought the Renogy 100 Watt 12V starter kit with 1500W Pure Sine Inverter and 12V 100AH Battery per Will's video. Got it hooked up and it worked-at least all the lights came on!
Anyway, I plugged in a small de-humidifier, which ran OK, but after a couple of minutes, the "BATT" led light on the controller turned from solid green to solid orange.
The booklet states that that means the battery is "under-voltage".
I would appreciate it if someone can tell me what that means?
I dont think that the battery had been fully charged and it was an overcast day. But the de-humidifier continued to run but I unplugged it out of caution.

Thanks

Hi Joe - this is a very late reply, maybe it’s of no use to you now, but the under voltage error just means the battery is run down and needs more time with good sun to charge up before the load is connected again. So you did the right thing unplugging it. Alternatively that the inverter was drawing so many amps from the battery that the voltage was sagging down even though it was properly charged up.

The inverter will run the battery down much faster than it can be charged from a 100W panel, so it’s definitely going to be a case of limiting the load hours to suit the available sunshine. Even with no mains loads switched on, just having the inverter connected to the battery and switched on will drain 6-8W I think.

Last edited:
My 1500W inverter uses about 4-5W just powered on.

Below graphs are showing when I realized I left mine on the other day. Went out to the shed (lights came on while I was out there), turned the inverter off ... you can see the lines relatively flat before and after.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 6.35.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 6.35.06 PM.png
    70.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 6.34.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 6.34.57 PM.png
    39.3 KB · Views: 2
Back