diy solar

diy solar

Want to build 1280watt 48volt system

Kimzoc

I have 4 320 watt panels roof mounted 1280 total watts (first pic) and 1 panel (second pic). I have 8 lead acid 12 volt batteries 2 banks of 48 volts. I'm on a super tight budget. Ill need inverter to supply 110 volt to camper, and reducer for 12 volts to camper lights and fans etc.. What charge controler, fuse breaker wire sizes and other components do I need to get system up and running please? Thank you.

Attachments

• 20210929_141354.jpg
    20210929_141354.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210925_151543.jpg
    20210925_151543.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 5
What size inverter do you need? Why a 48V battery bank? That only makes sense if you are looking for a 4kW or larger inverter.

With the 4 320W panels I don't see the point of the little 51W panel.

What size inverter do you need? Why a 48V battery bank? That only makes sense if you are looking for a 4kW or larger inverter.

With the 4 320W panels I don't see the point of the little 51W panel.
Hi thanks for your reply. I have a A class ford F53 chassis camper. Firstly the 4 320watt panels are 48volt each. So it's super easy to create a 48 volt system I believe with lower amps. 4 12volt batteries X 2 banks and voltage reducer to 12volts is only $30. I've been told it's better to keep system at voltage of panels which is 48volts.? The 51 watt panel just came with other 4 so I'll just use it separately with another charge controller for engine battery so let's emit from this equation. The camper lights fans etc run on 12 volts. I'd like to provide as much 110 volt watts/amps as my 2 banks of 48 volt batteries and 1280watt panels can continually produce if needed. I'll be boondocking for 6 months.

Your panel voltage and battery bank voltage almost have nothing to do with each other. I have a 24V battery and 3 panels in series providing up to 120V. The MPPT charge controller will convert whatever voltage/amps the panels can produce into the proper battery voltage and associated amps. So don't plan on a 48V just because your panels are almost 48V.

What capacity (in amp hours - Ah) are your batteries. We know they are 12V but without knowing the actual capacity very little can be determined.

Have you done a proper energy audit of your needs? Figure out what components you need to use. Figure out how long per day they will normally be used and how much power they need. Separate that into DC and AC so you can properly determine what size inverter you need. That will largely drive your system voltage more than anything else.

The panel specs, along with the decision on battery voltage, will help determine the best way to setup your panels (4S, 4P, or 2S2P) and an appropriate charge controller for that setup.

@Kimzoc , rmaddy saved me time by posting what he did. You're under some misconceptions.

Your RV is already 12v. It's a lot easier to stay 12v than it is to change to 48v.

I have a bumper pull toy hauler. Not that big, but 11k GVWR and full featured as far as electrical components goes. I kept my system 12v. I have 560 Ah of LiFePO4 battery and 1280 watts of PV for my trailer. I no longer worry one bit about power. In fact, I'll leave the lights on just because I can.

Your panel voltage and battery bank voltage almost have nothing to do with each other. I have a 24V battery and 3 panels in series providing up to 120V. The MPPT charge controller will convert whatever voltage/amps the panels can produce into the proper battery voltage and associated amps. So don't plan on a 48V just because your panels are almost 48V.

What capacity (in amp hours - Ah) are your batteries. We know they are 12V but without knowing the actual capacity very little can be determined.

Have you done a proper energy audit of your needs? Figure out what components you need to use. Figure out how long per day they will normally be used and how much power they need. Separate that into DC and AC so you can properly determine what size inverter you need. That will largely drive your system voltage more than anything else.

The panel specs, along with the decision on battery voltage, will help determine the best way to setup your panels (4S, 4P, or 2S2P) and an appropriate charge controller for that setup.
Cool. Thanks for all that. More to figure out before next steps maybe. Found 48 volt to 110 inverter and reducer from 48 to 12v is simple for lights fans etc. My batteries will be upgraded to Lion next year. I want as much juice as my solar system can produce as I'm going south and would love to be able to run the Ac if capable. When I get 8 12v batteries installed this week I'll measure amps hours and do some figuring. If I can Ac is biggest draw for 3 hours in hottest part of day. Led lights and USB fans don't draw much. Thank you all very much. I'm really interested in a wiring schematic with whatever type of breakers and fuses and their placement along with correct gauge wiring so nothing burns up. Thanks again.

Back